• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli mortimer 12ga load choice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebrun

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am the proud owner of a beautiful 12ga flintlock pedersoli mortimer.

The rifle works well and is well made.

Do any of you own it and what load do you use with it for small game hunting?
So far my tests have given me poor pattern.

Thanks, so with these cards instead of a wad you get a nice pattern ? Did you hunt with this gun ?

I was able to try out the mortimer again this evening.

I used the 4 overshot cards instead of wadding: the pattern is a little better than with semolina, but not superb either. I think it's possible to tighten it up a bit more.

I might have to try an other powder, as I'm shooting "pnf chasse", a French powder comparable to 1f 1/2.

I also have other questions: is it normal that unless you keep your head very high on the stock, the shot is very low?
As soon as I aim, as with my other rifles, the shot is 30cm lower at 20y!

Also, have you noticed that this 12ga mortimer looks more like a 13-gauge?
I tried to put a 12ga wadding to try the skychief load and honestly it doesn't even fit, only the thin cartons fit and hold a lot of air.

I was able to try out the mortimer again this evening.

I used the 4 overshot cards instead of wadding: the pattern is a little better than with semolina, but not superb either. I think it's possible to tighten it up a bit more.

I might have to try an other powder, as I'm shooting "pnf chasse", a French powder comparable to 1f 1/2.

I also have other questions: is it normal that unless you keep your head very high on the stock, the shot is very low?
As soon as I aim, as with my other rifles, the shot is 30cm lower at 20y!

Also, have you noticed that this 12ga mortimer looks more like a 13-gauge?
I tried to put a 12ga wadding to try the skychief load and honestly it doesn't even fit, only the thin cartons fit and hold a lot of air.
1&1/2f is to course. It's useless and you need a finer grade.
Yes, you shoot the Pedersoli Mortimer with your head up. It was a popular method around the Edwardian times I recall.
I think mine measured .719" or 18.26mm.

Thin cards allow the air past. If however you are using thick card or nitro cards you need to bite the edge to allow the air past.

Thank you for your feedback.
I need to get used to this unusual way of aiming today!
I have some Swiss 3fg in stock, I'll give it a try, it may be a bit quick but it's good. If not, I'll order 2fg.

Indeed, 1mm card can be passed by making a small slit with a knife, which is manageable.

Here are my tests with overshot cards, all shot at 24yards, the yellow target is 3 inches diameter :
As you can see, my shot is too low due to my head-down aiming.

20230921_215554.jpg

This one pretty much the same with 4 overshot cards and 95gn by volume of shot :

20230921_215631.jpg

And here are two of my tests, virtually identical apart from a 5-grain difference in shot volume.
Most of the time, I had major inconsistencies with the semolina used as wadding.
On one shot it's okay and on the next it's bad.

This one seems ok :
20230921_215534.jpg

But this one not :

20230921_215527.jpg

Do you think that the shots made on the first two photos with overshot cards are sufficient for bird hunting or should I persevere on load development?

Back