• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small caliber shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a forty or under you better be great at reading wind if you want to win or place in any 100 yard matches in serious competition.

I agree with LD and stay inside 75 yards but nowhere I shoot does 75 yards so 50 is t and you need to read the wind those balls blow out unreal.

Rdane,

Thanks. I’ve long been considering a small caliber muzzleloader for groundhogs here on the farm. That’s good info. Thanks.

I gave up on the 32's that I owned, but my wife shoots a 36 and I have a 40. It's hard to hear a 36 hit metal up close due to the speed and weight of the ball. The 40 is the minimum that I will shoot. Accurate, powerful enough to drop a small deer, and it comes in a nice looking package.
Last yr I got a TC Seneca that was .36 cal. It was sent to Bob Hoyt to get rebore to .40 with 1:37 twist to shoot sized 10mm pistol bullets. It has the rear tang mounted peep sight with front blade. With 60gr W T7fff taking a turkey at 110yds was really fun. I'm selling the gun now to get a .40 barrel with a faster twist for the TC High Plains Sporter I just got. Peep sights will be on this one too, like this one.
image.jpg

My .32 is very good out to 50 yards... past that to about 75 is iffy. Must have a good rest. My 36 flintlock is deadly at 100 yards. Past that to about 125+ is iffy at best. Mostly because of my old eyes. With a good rest and all the time in the world and not wind I can do pretty good at 125.. Neither one foul the barrel bad. No problems loading or cleaning. Stay accurate with minimum wiping.

My six lb's. of .40 cal long rifle goes in the Pa. woods when I do. I keep a 60 gr. FFFg. load in her especially in summer for bear deterrent. A Fellow 2 miles away was mauled last year . Cost him 6 months healing and therapy. I don't play well with ticks , timber snakes , and black bears. Won't put up w/that B/S.

Back