• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longer Barrels On Small Caliber ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know my muscle mass has changed. Now, if I stand just right I have a "muscle mass' to rest my left elbow on.

Yeah. When I wa about 13 my body fat index was about 13%, and my left elbow rested solidly on my hip bone (in standing position). Now it's about 22%, (age 68) and the left elbow comes to rest somewhat "north" of there. That makes a difference in where your left elbow comes to rest (suspended off the hip bone vs. on the hip bone). Body bubber isn't going to be as stable as bone, which makes the point that, even in sports where a lack of movement is the goal, conditioning and body composition makes a big difference

Last edited:
I have shorter ML's (26" and 28") and other than the weight, they are easier to manipulate through the steep, rugged, thick, mountains here than my lighter and longer 32" squirrel rifle. I'm sure one aspect is the straighter stock design when compared to a drop butt stock. But I do know that I'm often banging and clanging the drop stock against trees and other things much more than I do with any shorter barreled rifles I have owned with straighter butt stock designs. Either way, the length of the barrel comes into play considering its on the other end and has to clear trees, brush, boulders, etc, not to mention getting hung up in vines and saw briars.
Here's your answer in one simple well written reply: "I have shorter ML's (26" and 28") and other than the weight, they are easier to manipulate through the steep, rugged, thick, mountains here than my lighter and longer 32" squirrel rifle." Using your rifle in brush will tell the story as what needs to be used, long or short will need to be considered then use Kentucky Windage for corrections needed ...

Here's your answer in one simple well written reply: "I have shorter ML's (26" and 28") and other than the weight, they are easier to manipulate through the steep, rugged, thick, mountains here than my lighter and longer 32" squirrel rifle." Using your rifle in brush will tell the story as what needs to be used, long or short will need to be considered then use Kentucky Windage for corrections needed ...
Its not always KY windage. I know how to do that. Its about holding steady while trying to shoot offhanded more than anything else.

ETipp my comment is just that. I have read through most of this. For me shooting well is all about how the gun fits YOU ! Barrel length, balance and sight radius are all important. But when you bring that gun to your shoulder you should be looking down those sights. Instead of looking for the sight, by shifting your head around to find them.
Barrel length is to me all personal preference. With muzzleloaders each barrel has its preferred load for accuracy. Which is a trial and error to find it.
So getting back to your question in my opinion. The rifle that fits you the best is the one you will use the most. Take this with a grain of salt. But this is what has worked for me...others may disagree an that's fine..

I have an original .45 caliber southern style poor boy rifle, it needs to be freshened (rebored to .50 caliber). Who does a good job reasonably these days?

Latest posts

Back