• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small caliber shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
The smallest caliber muzzleloader I have is .45 and I usually shoot at less than 50 yards.

At what distances do you folks typically shoot .32, .36 and .40 caliber muzzleloaders? I’m only interested in these three calibers.

Thanks

I shoot my .32 out to 50 yds. My .36 I shoot out to 100 yds. with good accuracy. My .40 is also good to out to 100 yds.. Fouling can be a bigger problem in the .32 and .36. I shoot 28 gr. of T7 in the .32 to keep the fouling to a minimum. I use Goex 3f in the other calibers. My .40 and .45 shoots good with 3f black powder, T7 or Pyrodex RS. They all have Green Mountian barrels. I have .50 and .54 calibers and never shoot them. I have peep sights on the .36 and open sights on the .32 and .40.

1sgt, (I haven’t addressed anyone with that title in a long time😄), do you prefer the peep sighs?

So far with my .32 Ive only had it to the range once. I stuck with 25 yards. Im going to get a good zero with it at that distance, as it is going to be used mainly for squirrel hunting. That said, I will try some 50 yard shooting with it at some point. I wouldnt mind trying it out on fall turkeys. We are allowed to use rifles for turkeys in the fall.

Does the point of impact change much between 25 and 75 yards for the .40 caliber?

1sgt, (I haven’t addressed anyone with that title in a long time😄), do you prefer the peep sighs?
Peep sights, if set up correctly, make it easier to see the front sight and target more clearly. I can change the front sight depending on the target. Some matches are any metallic sight and allow peeps. Other matches are open sight only matches. Bench shooting the peeps are preferred. Offhand is harder to hold steady with peeps but still make it easier to see the front sight and target.

I use my .32's for 25 yard matches though I did have to use one out to 100 yards for a couple of days at one match due to my usual .50 being out of commission. The .32 worked at that distance as in it wasn't random all over the target but it didn't win anything either.

I gave up on the 32's that I owned, but my wife shoots a 36 and I have a 40. It's hard to hear a 36 hit metal up close due to the speed and weight of the ball. The 40 is the minimum that I will shoot. Accurate, powerful enough to drop a small deer, and it comes in a nice looking package.

Attachments

• bella 1_InPixio.jpg
    bella 1_InPixio.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 62
I shoot 36 and 40 out to 100 yards at monthly matches and win my fair share. Only use 25-35 gr of 3f. Haven’t really shot my 32 much past 50 yards. This is paper targets so not concerned about ringing steel, just 10 ring and tight groups is where it’s at. The 36 and 40 will do fine.

i've been looking for a 36 cal a long time,,cannot find them at all
Jim Kibler at kiblerlongrifles.com sells a southern mountain flintlock kit in .32, .36, .40 and .45 calibers, if you're willing to put a little time into building your own. If his kits were any easier to put together, they'd hop out of the crate and assemble themselves...

Back