• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question/Survey about setting up a "Small Game" Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems that no one has to use a small caliber if no restrictions are imposed so if you choose to shoot a small caliber and someone that shoots a larger caliber out shoots you well you had the choice to shoot a large caliber also so don't complain So I say let all calibers compete

Using NMLRA rules for round ball, you would score center of ball making no difference for scoring various ball sizes. Most of the time the scorer can eyeball the center but for close call an overlay template is needed. You can buy one from the NMLRA.
https://www.nmlra.org/store/scoring-overlay

IF you used that. Other scoring systems hold that if you break the line, you get the higher value.

LD

I'd tell everyone to quit crying and run watcha brung. Should be about having fun first, and friendly competition second.

There's a reason i got out of competition years ago.

The objection to the larger calibers is valid if the distances to the targets is far enough away and there is a cross wind. The guys shooting .36 and especially those shooting .32 will not do nearly as well as a guy with a heavily loaded .54 when it comes to bucking the wind.

Further, the larger calibers are more forgiving than the "small game" calibers on scoring....,

For example:

View attachment 293297 View attachment 293298

LD
using the half a ball in to score at my club's matches these would score the same if the half point is on the line you get the higher score also we have several targets where if you break the line the shot don't count

I believe hunting competitions have now been outlawed in NYS. Squirrel, rabbit and coyote competitions were common each winter, but recently had legislative changes based.on NY City types believing the animals were killed for fun, entered in the competition and then thrown out.

Cuz apparently, nobody eats squirrel or rabbit.

IF you used that. Other scoring systems hold that if you break the line, you get the higher value.

LD
But in those other scoring systems people are not shooting calibers that range from .32 to .72. The only fair way to score a muzzleloading match is center of ball.

But in those other scoring systems people are not shooting calibers that range from .32 to .72. The only fair way to score a muzzleloading match is center of ball.

AH but if you go to steel plates there's no determination of the center where the ball hits..., the .54 may hit the edge, when the the .32 misses even though they on paper would be in the exactly same spot, and hitting the plate = a hit, missing is a miss......

LD

Some of the shooters want it to be 40 cal and under only. This would exclude about 50% of available shooters that do not own a sub 40 caliber rifle.
Makes sense….. Good way to keep membership from getting too large.
here's my logic if its legal to use over a 40 caliber within the state game laws - then in theory I should allow any caliber to be used for the small game shoot. I am for letting anyone compete that wants with any legal ML
Don’t know how many are in your club, but I would be inviting as many members and guests (if this group allows such a thing) to bring any locally and club legal gun to your shoot. All are welcome, but for prizes/bragging rights, state the rules, and while everyone shoots and has a score, they are classified as ‘out of competition’ if not within the published match rules. Sometimes there will be a game time decisions. Maybe you break into categories like smoothbore and rifled for example instead of calibers, as only a few 40 caliber or less shooters are present. It all depends on how many show up with what. Do you tell one or two that show up with scoped in-lines to go away, or do you welcome them while letting them know their scores will be considered ‘out of competition’ for the day’s match as previously posted on any announcement.

And no matter what you decide to do, there are going to be a few that aren’t that happy with you….

AH but if you go to steel plates there's no determination of the center where the ball hits..., the .54 may hit the edge, when the the .32 misses even though they on paper would be in the exactly same spot, and hitting the plate = a hit, missing is a miss......

LD
That is why I don't like to shoot steel plates it is hit or miss. Years ago the club I shot with had 2 shoots a month, one paper and one primitive which was whatever somebody dreamed up. The guy in charge of the primitive shoot that day had several dozen raw eggs which he taped strings on and hung on the 25 yard line. The match was break the egg or if you missed you had to eat the raw egg and you were out. I was shooting my .40 cal. that day and stated before the match even began that I wasn't going to be eating a raw egg. Well that little .40 came through for me that day and I was the only one who didn't have to eat an egg. My point, That little .40 would hold less than a 1 inch group at 25 yards so I didn't have to worry about the larger calibers, yes they had an advantage but knowing my rifle and what it could do was what made the day for me.

Back