• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How loud?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a free ap for my iphone. It compares readings to the meter posted and regulated by the company i work for. This is inside so shooting outside may read differently.

Thanks for the info. However, I wasn’t asking this concerning whether or not to use ear and eye protection because I always wear ear and eye protection when target shooting or plinking.

I didn’t give the reason for asking because I didn’t won’t to clutter the thread. But, perhaps I should. So, I have a 20 acre farm with a few neighbors around. There are places on the farm where I can safely shoot a 22 rifle and it’s not so loud as to bother the neighbors. The smallest muzzleloader I currently have is a .45 caliber and I feel like that is too loud to shoot here. I know my .62 would be! I have never fired a .32 caliber muzzleloader and was wondering if it could be loaded down to or below the sound level of a 22 rifle. It would be nice to do some muzzleloader shooting here at home and not have to drive thirty minutes to a range.

And no, I didn’t ask or expect anyone to check this with no hearing protection. I would think you could tell the difference with hearing protection.

Hopefully that’s at least as clear as mud. 😄

Thanks!

Life is good.
That’s very nice of you I mean it sincerely. But I think if there are haters out there someone is going to complain. There may also be some one with an illness like autism. They can be very sensitive to loud snappy noise. For me I find the deep sound of a muzzle loader blast less annoying. A 32 with a normal load would not bother me. I think what bothers most people is rapid or fast firing. What are your neighbors doing. If you live in a state where you can shoot on your property then i would shoot. You’re obviously a reasonable person having your neighbors concern at hand. Another plug for the 32 is the slower pace of firing a muzzle no such thing as rapid fire.

The funny thing is that none of my guns bother me when shooting at game but one day I was coming back from my woods and was on my range so I shot to empty my gun, tell you what, NEVER AGAIN.
I wore electronic muffs once for deer and cold not tell what directions sound was coming from, that didn't work either.

I gotta say, some of these responses really surprised me.

I think I’ll just get me a .32 and determine for myself how loud or quiet it can be.

And yes, I will be wearing ear and eye protection.😉
There are many apps available to measure noise in decibels. I have used one to measure the level when shooting my bows. If you shoot various guns same time and place you can see the comparison.

Best done when there is no wind or background noise.

There are many apps available to measure noise in decibels. I have used one to measure the level when shooting my bows. If you shoot various guns same time and place you can see the comparison.

Best done when there is no wind or background noise.
Thank you for a pertinent answer.

Getting back on track here. My Crockett Rifle with 20 grains of 3F BP has a different sound than a .22. It does not have the “crack” sound but it is close to the noise level of a .22.

With 30 grains it’s closer to a .22Mag but again, the sound is different.

Target shooting I wear ear plugs. For squirrel hunting I don’t need ear protection, mostly due to being out in the open more.
I skoot at indoor ranges at times . With protection
I do prefer outdoor s , and preferably ones without covers.the noise is much lessznd mope relaxing.

Blitz

Context.

Uncle Sugar had me wear rubber earplugs at the range during basic training. But not in the bush.

I will wear muffs at the range. But not while following dogs in the field. Neither on a deer stand nor in a marsh.

Sometimes at an indoor range I wonder if a respirator mask of some sort would not be more beneficial.

Never wear them when fishing. :)

Thanks for the info. However, I wasn’t asking this concerning whether or not to use ear and eye protection because I always wear ear and eye protection when target shooting or plinking.

I didn’t give the reason for asking because I didn’t won’t to clutter the thread. But, perhaps I should. So, I have a 20 acre farm with a few neighbors around. There are places on the farm where I can safely shoot a 22 rifle and it’s not so loud as to bother the neighbors. The smallest muzzleloader I currently have is a .45 caliber and I feel like that is too loud to shoot here. I know my .62 would be! I have never fired a .32 caliber muzzleloader and was wondering if it could be loaded down to or below the sound level of a 22 rifle. It would be nice to do some muzzleloader shooting here at home and not have to drive thirty minutes to a range.

And no, I didn’t ask or expect anyone to check this with no hearing protection. I would think you could tell the difference with hearing protection.

Hopefully that’s at least as clear as mud. 😄

Thanks!

Life is good.
If you're not shooting at unreasonable hours, don't worry about the noise. Talk to them in advance, let them know what they'll be hearing. You may even generate interest.

If noise does become an issue, sound barriers at a fixed shooting point might be an option. Something like 10-15 feet of solid fencing can deflect a lot of muzzle noise.

Don't be foolish, sure, they make good hearing aids these days, but try to aim for needing them in your 80's, not your 20's.

There is a good reason why most ranges I've ever shot of have notices stating the 'hearing protection MUST be worn while shooting is in progress'.
Huh? You need to speak up I'm a little bit hard of hearing in that ear.
Sure wish that we had known this and talked about it 60 years ago, maybe I could hear now-a-days.

Huh? You need to speak up I'm a little bit hard of hearing in that ear.
Sure wish that we had known this and talked about it 60 years ago, maybe I could hear now-a-days.
Same here too many years working in noisy environment's and shooting without hearing protection. Thankful that my hearing aids help with hearing and masking the tinnitus ringing in both ears. I have a pair of Sonic II ear plugs with me at all times and switch from the hearing aids to them when needed. I asked my audiologist if turning the hearing aids would work and he just smiled and said not on a bet. He did say that there are hearing aids with the ability to cut out loud sounds instantly but cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000 for each ear and that was 10 years ago. I thought hmmm I could get a couple top of the line flintlocks for that.

Latest posts

Back