• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How loud?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This question is for folks who actually shoot or have shot a .32 caliber muzzleloader, specifically a Crockett model. Input on other brands is welcome also.

How loud is a .32 caliber muzzle loader with typical loads (~20 - 35 grains) compared to a .22 long rifle from a similar length barrel.

I did a search and came up with a lot of could be, should be, may be answers. I’m looking to hear from folks with actual experience. I watched some YouTube videos but it’s difficult to hear exactly how loud or quite they really are.

Thanks!

Would have to say my Crockett with 20 grn either 3F black, or Pyro-P is noticeably quieter than a 22LR. My CVA Varminter is a bit loader but I assume that's due to the much shorter barrel. I've never shot more than 17-20 grains of powder as that seems to be the sweet spot for the Crockett.

Don't be foolish, sure, they make good hearing aids these days, but try to aim for needing them in your 80's, not your 20's.

There is a good reason why most ranges I've ever shot of have notices stating the 'hearing protection MUST be worn while shooting is in progress'.
My gun ranges (2) that I belong to, require eye and ear protection. posted at the range

IMO, depending on the load, they can be as loud or louder than a 22LR.
Have never done a side by side comparison, but always thought my Crockett was fairly quiet. Then again, I'm only burning 20 grn of powder. I do wear muffs on the range, it's required, but not white hunting.

This question is for folks who actually shoot or have shot a .32 caliber muzzleloader, specifically a Crockett model. Input on other brands is welcome also.

How loud is a .32 caliber muzzle loader with typical loads (~20 - 35 grains) compared to a .22 long rifle from a similar length barrel.

I did a search and came up with a lot of could be, should be, may be answers. I’m looking to hear from folks with actual experience. I watched some YouTube videos but it’s difficult to hear exactly how loud or quite they really are.

Thanks!
Good thing I can read because after over 60 years of shooting I might not have been able to hear you.

When I was a youngster hearing protection was a wad of cotton stuffed in my ears. It took way too long for me to graduate to ear plugs and then muffs, I now wear both.

Hindsight being 20/20 I now realized my father wasn't the gun guy I thought he was or he'd have known better on the few occasions I went shooting with him.

Wear hearing protection. Now having said that, my 32 Deerhunter is not real loud with a small charge12-15 grains. With 30-40 grain charge it cracks pretty good. It has a short barrel. I imagine something with a long barrel would not be as loud for the shooter.

Getting back on track here. My Crockett Rifle with 20 grains of 3F BP has a different sound than a .22. It does not have the “crack” sound but it is close to the noise level of a .22.

With 30 grains it’s closer to a .22Mag but again, the sound is different.

Target shooting I wear ear plugs. For squirrel hunting I don’t need ear protection, mostly due to being out in the open more.

How did this turn into a hearing protection thread?
Well, if you're asking anyone based on experience to judge the difference in noise level between a .22 rimfire and a .32 muzzleloader your barking up the wrong tree. Like I'm going to remove my hearing protection to provide an answer. If you want to go right ahead, not me, I've done all the damage I want to do to my hearing. It's not a very bright question and the correct answer should be, "heck if I know, I'm not foolish enough to shoot anything short of an airgun without hearing protection." Hope that's not too curt for you.

Well, if you're asking anyone based on experience to judge the difference in noise level between a .22 rimfire and a .32 muzzleloader your barking up the wrong tree. Like I'm going to remove my hearing protection to provide an answer. If you want to go right ahead, not me, I've done all the damage I want to do to my hearing. It's not a very bright question and the correct answer should be, "heck if I know, I'm not foolish enough to shoot anything short of an airgun without hearing protection." Hope that's not too curt for you.
I'm pretty sure it's not OP's intention for you or anyone else to do that. You may wanna check that, Banjo is a very knowledgeable guy.

Thanks for the info. However, I wasn’t asking this concerning whether or not to use ear and eye protection because I always wear ear and eye protection when target shooting or plinking.

I didn’t give the reason for asking because I didn’t won’t to clutter the thread. But, perhaps I should. So, I have a 20 acre farm with a few neighbors around. There are places on the farm where I can safely shoot a 22 rifle and it’s not so loud as to bother the neighbors. The smallest muzzleloader I currently have is a .45 caliber and I feel like that is too loud to shoot here. I know my .62 would be! I have never fired a .32 caliber muzzleloader and was wondering if it could be loaded down to or below the sound level of a 22 rifle. It would be nice to do some muzzleloader shooting here at home and not have to drive thirty minutes to a range.

And no, I didn’t ask or expect anyone to check this with no hearing protection. I would think you could tell the difference with hearing protection.

Hopefully that’s at least as clear as mud. 😄

Thanks!

Life is good.

Would have to say my Crockett with 20 grn either 3F black, or Pyro-P is noticeably quieter than a 22LR. My CVA Varminter is a bit loader but I assume that's due to the much shorter barrel. I've never shot more than 17-20 grains of powder as that seems to be the sweet spot for the Crockett.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back