• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot in my 1st ML match today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I became a member of our local BP club in St. Louis in December and missed the first match of the year. Today I was able to shoot in our clubs board match.

I'll copy and paste the details of how it works..."The way the match works is you tack your target onto your board. You get 3 practice shots and hopefully have a nice tight group. Then you cut 6 Xs into the board spread out. These 6 shots count as scoring shots. You place your target over the first X where you think you will shoot the X. You tack the target again to the board and shoot it. Only one shot per X. Each shoot can win. After all shooters are finished shooting all 6 Xs, the boards are scored. If you have shots that cut the X, you place a half round ball into the hole. The half round ball should have a mark at the center of the ball. The cut lines in the wood are cut with a ruler across the half ball. A measurement is made from the X to the center of the ball. The closest one to the center wins first place, and so on. By using this method it doesn’t matter what caliber you shoot. Everyone has the same opportunity to win."

My 1st and 2nd shots were pretty good, then my next 3 shots went a little wild. Before my last shot, I realized that a piece of my powder measure came loose and wedged in the measure, so that I was only getting maybe 20 grains in shots 3-5. I fixed it and finished up with a great shot.
20210403_212214.jpg

My last shot put me in 4th place in the match out of 26 shooters. However, there was a mess up during the scoring so when they announced the winners my name was left out of the announcements! So before it was over I brought it to their attention and it was fixed, but since all the meat prizes had already been picked, I was given a $30 prize, fine by me!

I had a little anxiety about participating in these shooting matches because I've never done anything like this before, but now the ice is broken and I can't wait for the next one!

Just wanted to share this with you guys, I love this forum and all the knowledge I've gained from you all! -Justin

(The Xs are hard to see in the pics but I highlighted the one in my best shot with a pencil so you can see it better)

123_1(1).jpeg
123_1(2).jpeg

That's awesome man. What were you shooting with? I had hoped to shoot today, but that didn't happen. They have a muzzleloader shoot once a year at the gun club here, but I've never been. I'd be interested in a black powder club. Unfortunately we don't have one. Sounds like a great time. Too bad about the powder measure. Lesson learned I'm sure...

That's awesome man. What were you shooting with? I had hoped to shoot today, but that didn't happen. They have a muzzleloader shoot once a year at the gun club here, but I've never been. I'd be interested in a black powder club. Unfortunately we don't have one. Sounds like a great time. Too bad about the powder measure. Lesson learned I'm sure...
Well I intended to shoot with my new TC Renegade, but when I tried it out the other day it wasn't grouping well, and with the help of a fellow member I found it likes .495 balls way more than .490, and since I don't have any more .495 I decided to use my wife's little Traditions Pioneer Carbine because I knew I could do pretty good with that. Used 60 grains of Goex 3F and an .018 patch, I had the crappiest rifle there today and I still did pretty good lol

Hahaha
That's great! I'm sure showing up with that bad boy didn't help with the new guy anxiety you mentioned. I actually just looked it up. Appears like it could be a handy little gun, and it did get you 4th place.
Bring the bacon home with the Renegade next meet brother. 🐷
I have a smooth bore Renegade myself. My father left it to me when he passed a few weeks back. It needed some work to get it back in order. That's what got me on this forum actually. Poking around the internet looking for info on it.

Yep I have a .495 mold on the way and I'm gonna get that Renegade dialed in.

Sorry to hear of your Father's passing, that sucks. Hope you get that Renegade in order and get out to do some shooting in his memory.

Good to hear. I appreciate it. It's already been out a few times. lol
Even the wife shot it.
All I have left to do is make an aperture leaf to mount on the tang. The rear sight was missing so I put another T/C sight on it, but I can't stand it. It reminds me of shooting an AK, but way worse because the front blade is square and the rear I put on was for a bead top front blade, so it's all radiuses.

The wedge journal I guess you'd call it, and one of the holes for the escutcheon screw was damaged. I plugged it with epoxy. It's functional. For some reason they never inlayed the escutcheon plates into the stock. They were just surface mounted, so all that was really supporting the wedge were the two little screws. I think that was what caused the damage to begin with, so I just cut both the plates in for more support. I didn't want the same thing to happen to the other side too.
It was not easy finding a fly for this lock. I'll tell you that. I think I got the last one on the internet. I had yet to join you fellas over here yet. Now I know exactly where to find one.
20210322_031515.jpg

You know, I apologize. I just hijacked you're thread didn't I...
I'm not seeing an option to delete my post. Is there no way to do this?

You know, I apologize. I just hijacked you're thread didn't I...
I'm not seeing an option to delete my post. Is there no way to do this?
No need to delete your post, I don't feel like you hijacked it. We were just talking so no worries.

But I don't think you can delete one if you ever need to, all you can do is hit the edit button and delete all the words and write deleted or retracted or something like that. But you only have a limited time to edit a post.

Glad you got your gun working! This forum is a very valuable resource!

I appreciate that. Good to know. For the record, apparently that time limit you mentioned is 30 minutes.

Where I live in Central Pa. , the m/l activity got started in early 1970. The Pa. Blame Comm. opened our first after Christmas flintlock deer season for a 2 week period. Few people could even spell , Flintlock , let alone know how they worked. There were several old near defunct sportsmen's clubs in the area , and one allowed a group of m/l shooters to use it on a trial basis to see if there was enough interest to regenerate membership. The first couple of shoots certainly helped membership , 'cause 30+ guys and gals showed up to shoot , and mostly try to see how their new T/C , and Brown Bess's and some custom flint guns worked. The mood of these first shoots was very serious and competitive , mirroring the old dead .22 rifle competitions my father attended. To the credit of the generational differences in people , eventually , a lighter mood of competition prevailed and even heckling began promoting laughter and much jocularity to break forth adding a new level of discipline . ie. , If you could handle the pressure of verbal abuse or even pine cones bouncing off you;re butt while trying to squeeze off that most important round , you were considered a shooter to respect. There was a remarkable and very funny incident that happened during a break in a big shoot. One fellow had cut out a nice one foot high buffalo iron target and wanted to test the ability of the 1/2 " thick steel to turn m/l balls. The mistake he made was to loudly warn everyone in hearing distance not to shoot his beautiful buffalo target , as he alone could shoot one shot and examine the effect. Well , the amusement began as six , or so , guys loaded up and at 25 yards peppered his once beautiful buffalo. I can't remember how the iron cervid fared , but the laughter lasted quite a while watching the reaction of the buff's owner..................Hope this little reiteration makes somebody laugh as it did at the time................oldwood............Happy Easter...

I kinda got hooked on N-SSA competition where we shoot Civil War arms against the clock in a balance of time v accuracy. It's also the only competition I know of where you shoot as a team against other teams simultaneously. At our Nationals in Winchester, I usually stand second from left next to a buddy who lives in TX. We give each other loads of static once the horn sounds and try to outshoot each other all the while the clocks running. Good times. First event of 5 events is a target array of 32 clays on a backer at 50yds for an 8 man team. Horn sounds, clocks start, open fire, fastest time wins, no pressure and the levels of black powder smoke that can accumulate in the valley make seeing the targets a bit problematic at times.

I've shot competition in some form all my life and found this kinda late. Being a former reenactor, I wish I spent those years shooting blanks shooting live ammunition instead. After my mom passed, my dad wanted to get in on the competition and I took him to NRA HP, plates, IDPA, etc, but this is what really gets him fired up. He's 87 and loves the 1863 Sharps carbine got for him. Quite a few of our conversations revolve around the next match.

Good shooting Justin. I couldn't make it to the match. Too much going on at home to prepare for today.

Now don't tell anyone that Ellen's rifle has a 1 in 28 twist (if I Remember Correctly).

Next club match is in a week and I will be there.

Latest posts

Back