• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shortening oh my!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a similar thread about different cooking oils going at this time. It's really all about "slickum" isn't it?
Yes, but too slick can be a bad thing aswell. The trick is finding the lube that gives ya just the right amount of slickness for your load for your front stuffer.

I never understood why it should matter if there is natural sodium salt in their patch or chamber lube. Pull the trigger and the barrel is full of corrosive salt anyway, so who cares unless pre-lubing conicals or regular bullets for cartridges?

This isn't a post about using Crisco or Shortening, but rather Crisco vs Shortening for patch lube. Has anyone took notice of the ingredient labels of each? I though they were both one in the same, turns out there not. It appears Shortening has animal fats where as Crisco uses vegetable oils. The shortening I have in my cabinet right now says it's mostly beef tallow! I put screen shots below of each. I honestly never knew this, of course I never use the stuff so that could be why. I mean I am a guy, if it fits in my mouth I eat it 🤷.
View attachment 245867View attachment 245868
No, not that it makes a difference on a patch. I was just showing that there is a difference in what ingredients are in each. My fiance just schooled me on it, oh by the way apparently I live under a rock too. Just thought it may make a difference incase someone was looking for a beef tallow base instead of a vegetable base. Again prob doesn't matter a hoot.
O

I suppose this is off topic, but when I was a kid in the 1950's my mom would make pork chops and there was a lot of "pork chop oil" left in the pan for spooning on your mashed potatoes. Now, it seems like pork chops don't do that at all. Am I remembering wrong or are pigs just too skinny now?

I suppose this is off topic, but when I was a kid in the 1950's my mom would make pork chops and there was a lot of "pork chop oil" left in the pan for spooning on your mashed potatoes. Now, it seems like pork chops don't do that at all. Am I remembering wrong or are pigs just too skinny now?
Those butchers trim the fat off too close to the meat. Its seems this has started in the past 6-10 years. That way they can sell it for good profit. Its all of the money yours !

The real upside to rendering out your own lard is that you get all those cracklin's. Give them a good coating of salt and you and your buddies can sit around and really chew the fat!
You are right about that! Even though there doesn’t appear to be much or any meat, you’ll eventually end up with some good cracklin’s, just got to keep the heat low and wait.

Pork has been getting leaner and chicken fattier since I was a kid 40 years ago. Chicken is so fat now I don't even want to grill it because all the drippings start fires. Pork almost needs a brushing with olive oil to grill because it is so lean anymore. Wife baked half a dozen leg quarters last week and tried out a baking pan insert that picks the meat up off the bottom, there was at least half an inch of drippings in a 9x13 pan. The fat got poured on the cat food.

I think I'm going to try bacon grease:
grease.png

yum!

This thread is getting way off topic but that's the way they go. The problem with most of our food these days is that it's grown for speed and looks. Store bought tomatoes sure look like tomatoes and they sort of have the right texture but they don't taste like the kind we used to grow. Same thing with pigs and chickens. The pork we raised didn't need anything but a little salt and pepper. The chicken I went out in the yard and knocked in the head, or shot the damn thing with my 22 if it ran too fast, tasted like the real thing. This isn't just an old man living in the past either, the past is another world, we did things different then.

This thread is getting way off topic but that's the way they go. The problem with most of our food these days is that it's grown for speed and looks. Store bought tomatoes sure look like tomatoes and they sort of have the right texture but they don't taste like the kind we used to grow. Same thing with pigs and chickens. The pork we raised didn't need anything but a little salt and pepper. The chicken I went out in the yard and knocked in the head, or shot the damn thing with my 22 if it ran too fast, tasted like the real thing. This isn't just an old man living in the past either, the past is another world, we did things different then.
I agree with you there, but as far as off topic. That's half the fun right? Nothing wrong with bsn.

Spot on.

If any are interested, I put a post up today from my Investarms Santa Fe .36 Range report in the Percussion thread. I could sure use help.

last season i got 10 pounds of Bear fat. rendered into 6 pints of oil. mix it around 50/50 beeswax. varies with the temperature.
got 60 shots from my smr .45 the other day with no swabbing. actually picked up about a dozen patches and reused them just for giggles.
figure those pints of bear oil will last to my last shot.
one side result, cured me from blowing down the barrel after the shot! not comfortable with greasy lips! 😂

Latest posts

Back