• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The more you shoot, the more you learn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nothing replaces quality time behind the trigger. You learn new weird quirks about guns, get to try new things, and experiment

I just bought a 2nd round barrel ".44 Reb Navy" to make a brace , with one I had for a while. I antiqued it to match the other one

The new one shoots 3" to the left at 15 yards. I sandbagged it, used every fundamental, and fired several cylinders from the sandbag. The gun printed a nice , neat group about 6" high and 3" left of my point of aim each time. Oh well, I'll probably just live with it . The one I had already hits dead on for windage and equally as high. I guess the new one left Pietta a little off. I could someday open the sight notch to the right i.e. "the Ruger Fix" when I get to it. Or probably not.

I think I just tried too hard and aimed too good.....I shot the gun with my left hand and it hit dead Center. BOOM problem solved. If my "push off" and poor trigger pull technique with my left hand makes it hit dead nuts , oh well. If it works it works.

I finally decided to try to use a utensil to spread Crisco on top of chambers. It's way easier. It was 90 out today and it stayed usable. I switched back and forth between wads and Crisco.
20230414_105033.jpg

For the first time ever, I had a mainspring work loose and jam a gun up. Apparently the mainspring screw worked loose and allowed the mainspring to slide over , preventing the hammer from moving. After breaking the gun down and tightening the screw, no more problems

20230414_132201.jpg

I could see the wads leaving the bore smoking, and at times they made the gun blow a smoke ring. This one stuck into the paper after shooting at about 5 yards. The ground was littered with burnt wool wads. I could probably have picked them up and reused them.

20230414_125913.jpg

I just bought these ear plugs that are also ear phones. It adds a new element to be able to listen to a Pandora station while shooting.
20230414_235627.jpg

Half the fun of getting out to shoot is getting some air, people watching, enjoying some alone time, and working the kinks out of new guns

I played around with some "unmentionables " too . There's never not a reason to get out and shoot

Last edited:
Stan,
I have a 51 sheriff that was shooting to the right. If I looked just over the top of the gun with the hammer cocked I could see the barrel pointed ever so slightly right. I took a smooth triangle file and with short, gentle, strokes, filed the barrel where it meets the frame. A couple few passes and the barrel points straight.
If you look at the picture of the barrel, you can see where it was hitting the hardest on the lower left corner.
I'll shoot it tomorrow and try to finish sighting it in

Attachments

• IMG_20230415_174545.jpg
    IMG_20230415_174545.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Stan,
I have a 51 sheriff that was shooting to the right. If I looked just over the top of the gun with the hammer cocked I could see the barrel pointed ever so slightly right. I took a smooth triangle file and with short, gentle, strokes, filed the barrel where it meets the frame. A couple few passes and the barrel points straight.
If you look at the picture of the barrel, you can see where it was hitting the hardest on the lower left corner.
I'll shoot it tomorrow and try to finish sighting it in
That's an excellent idea, I didn't even think that

The open top Colt design is so simple, the bullets go where the barrel points because it's not screwed into a frame

It may just need a little finessing to bring the barrel straight

The Pietta tech probably didn't square it up 100%

My only other option is to open up the rear sight if the barrel looks straight. It may very well be that the front sight hole was drilled a hair off Center

I was cleaning the gun and had the thought of turning it on the lathe to true it up and thought, "why not see what it looks like when I hit it with a file?" A couple passes and done
I checked it tonight and it looks straight . I looked at the barrel from every angle and it's as straight as it's going to get. It must be something else slightly off or the bore is drilled a little cocked.

Further study is required 😃

I'm going to take these out again and really get the pair on the sandbags for a good first cylinder , cold, clean barrel zero check at 25 yards

I'll take my fine file set with me and I had wanted to open the rear sights to a U shape anyway since I'm using these as CAS "training guns" for 10-15 yard point shooting

So if this revolver hits off to the left again , I'll just make it a U that is off to the right a little and adjust accordingly.

I did this with a Uberti Leech & Rigdon recently, it got it dead on for windage.

Ruger does the exact same thing at the factory 😃 they file one side of the rear sight until it hits to Point of Aim. If it works it works, the days of S&W techs bending frames with lead blocks is long over (excuse the unmentionable)

20230415_203013.jpg

Back