• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shortening oh my!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadriver

40 Cal
Reaction score
This isn't a post about using Crisco or Shortening, but rather Crisco vs Shortening for patch lube. Has anyone took notice of the ingredient labels of each? I though they were both one in the same, turns out there not. It appears Shortening has animal fats where as Crisco uses vegetable oils. The shortening I have in my cabinet right now says it's mostly beef tallow! I put screen shots below of each. I honestly never knew this, of course I never use the stuff so that could be why. I mean I am a guy, if it fits in my mouth I eat it 🤷.
Screenshot_20230817_214140_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230817_214112_Samsung Internet.jpg

No, not that it makes a difference on a patch. I was just showing that there is a difference in what ingredients are in each. My fiance just schooled me on it, oh by the way apparently I live under a rock too. Just thought it may make a difference incase someone was looking for a beef tallow base instead of a vegetable base. Again prob doesn't matter a hoot.

I tried shortening awhile back, seemed to work ok. Had a nice lube star at the end of my barrel after each shot but the groups weren't very good.

Years ago I used to have our little local grocery store save their pork fat trimmings for me and I’d render it into lard. Was great to cook with, but I never thought about using it as a lube. Need to make some more and try it, it’s easy to do.
Go for it! It's just like casting your own balls. Then when you take the smoke pole out and get a deer you can think I shot that deer with a ball I poured, lube I made and a patch I cut. It gives me great satisfaction and gratification when it all comes together. I think that's why there are so many lube recipes out there, people just want one they can say that it's theirs and it's the best. I try alot of different things mainly for experimentation and fun. I mean it's all about having fun so why not.

Years ago I used to have our little local grocery store save their pork fat trimmings for me and I’d render it into lard. Was great to cook with, but I never thought about using it as a lube. Need to make some more and try it, it’s easy to do.
I have a friend who was into the BPCR shooting when he was younger. His favorite bullet lube was lard and beeswax mixed according to the temperature. He gave me some to try as a patch lube and it seemed to work fine.

I have a friend who was into the BPCR shooting when he was younger. His favorite bullet lube was lard and beeswax mixed according to the temperature. He gave me some to try as a patch lube and it seemed to work fine.
I will definitely put rendering some more lard on my to do list. There used to be a small grocery store that sold bulk pork fat, as you need 5-10 lbs to render a pint or 2 of good, clean lard. I’ll have to ask around at other stores to save some for me. I have a 3 gal heavy SS pot that works great for rendering.

I have a similar thread about different cooking oils going at this time. It's really all about "slickum" isn't it?

Latest posts

Back