• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting way left?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a percussion rifle that has a peep sight centered on the tang that is only adjustable for elevation. In order to get close to the bulls eye at 30 yards the front sight must be very far to the left such that the blade lines up with the edge of the barrel top flat. Even with that location the gun still shoots 1.5" left, and this with the front sight drifted almost out of the dovetail. I suspect a bent barrel, or a off center bored barrel, but I can't say for sure. What suggestion might you have (besides getting a new barrel or reboring) for a front sight that looks reasonable but would allow for adjustment to get the balls on target?

Does the rifle have a barrel mounted rear sight? If so, remove the peep sight, center the front sight and shoot it. If you get the same results then it's probably an issue with the barrel. If it shoots within normal tolerance for sight adjustment it's the peep. Just because the mounting holes on the tang are centered, it doesn't mean the sight is. The base of a peep can often be canted to one side and will require shims to get it perpendicular to to the bore. If it's not level, your windage point of impact will change when you adjust the sight for elevation. If it's canted to the left, the higher you adjust the sight the more it will shoot to the left. Google "level a tang sight". There's lots of info on how to do it.

I have a percussion rifle that has a peep sight centered on the tang that is only adjustable for elevation. In order to get close to the bulls eye at 30 yards the front sight must be very far to the left such that the blade lines up with the edge of the barrel top flat. Even with that location the gun still shoots 1.5" left, and this with the front sight drifted almost out of the dovetail. I suspect a bent barrel, or a off center bored barrel, but I can't say for sure. What suggestion might you have (besides getting a new barrel or reboring) for a front sight that looks reasonable but would allow for adjustment to get the balls on target?
I have seen one rifle where the bore wasn't centered in the barrel. This is the only reason I can think of that would cause you to have to move the sights so far to one side?

Several things can cause this problem. As Gemmer pointed out could be the peep sight. Another thing to check is the muzzle square. Another thing I would check is who made the barrel? Some companies that made barrels have a problem with run out which can cause this problem if the flat with the run out wasn't used as the top or bottom flat. Then also the barrel might be bent.

The original barrel mounted rear sight had the notch on the right side close to the ear of the sight. It is not a problem with the peep sight, as it is centered on the breech plug tang.

Holding way right is not an option , and buying another gun is also out. I will look into the methods for bending the barrel as I believe this is going to be the solution.

Yep, when the windage is that far off its time to bend the barrel . Just a bit , go slow ...its really not a big deal just dont over do it . Tweek it a bit then put it back in the stock and start the sighting in process again . It'll be right as rain ...

….always 🥱

True. I still haven't touched my Woodsrunner kit because....boring. Nothing to fix, nothing to modify, nothing to tinker with to make work, very very little to fit. Looks like squaring the corners of the ramrod thimble inlets and trimming all the pins is about it besides a little metal filing, stock sanding, and finishing. I guess I could actually follow through with my carving and engraving plans.

Oh, drift the front sight....that's what dovetails are for.

True. I still haven't touched my Woodsrunner kit because....boring. Nothing to fix, nothing to modify, nothing to tinker with to make work, very very little to fit. Looks like squaring the corners of the ramrod thimble inlets and trimming all the pins is about it besides a little metal filing, stock sanding, and finishing. I guess I could actually follow through with my carving and engraving plans.

Oh, drift the front sight....that's what dovetails are for.
This will not get you invited to The Kibler Christmas Party.

Somewhere there's a thread on this site about how to file the rifling on the opposite side to make the bullet pull over. This works, I have a 45 caliber that had poor rifling on one side of the barrel that caused the gun to shoot sideways about 8 inches at 50 yards. Carefully using a round file I removed the rifling on the other side of the barrel and made the gun shoot on. Might not be the proper cure but it darn sure worked. If you check out all the questions I've asked in some of the answers, I know it's in there someplace about how to do that. I was told to use Emery cloth I think, but I did use a round file to do it and it worked just fine. Squint

The original barrel mounted rear sight had the notch on the right side close to the ear of the sight. It is not a problem with the peep sight, as it is centered on the breech plug tang.

Holding way right is not an option , and buying another gun is also out. I will look into the methods for bending the barrel as I believe this is going to be the solution.
Holding way right was just a stupid comment!
Nit Wit

Back