• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting way left?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laying it on a granite countertop would work well too.
Does it have to be granite? Or will any flat surface work?
I take the barrel out and put a straight edge on it. That way I don't have to go over to the neighbors house and borrow thier counter.

Does it have to be granite? Or will any flat surface work?
I take the barrel out and put a straight edge on it. That way I don't have to go over to the neighbors house and borrow thier counter.
I suppose he could hump it to his nearest NASA and lay it on one of their ground assembly tables.

Last edited:
The original barrel mounted rear sight had the notch on the right side close to the ear of the sight. It is not a problem with the peep sight, as it is centered on the breech plug tang.

Holding way right is not an option , and buying another gun is also out. I will look into the methods for bending the barrel as I believe this is going to be the solution
How long is the barrel and what width. A short fat barrel is hard to bend.

One thing I would check is the tang parallel with the top of the barrel? I have had tangs that weren’t. Second thing to check is the barrel straight? You can use a straight edge to check that. I had a TC Hawkens with a barrel that wasn’t straight and I had to use my hydraulic press to straighten it. Lastly buy a cheap feeler gauge at Harbor Freight and shim one side of the peep sight until it shoots like you want then cut a small piece off of the size that worked and slide it under the sight with some blue Loctite and you should be good to go. Good luck and straight shooting!

Barrel bending/straightening with a dial indicator and a hydraulic press is the surest way to get it to shoot where you want it to. I would be sure to check the crown first and then start with the press. GO SLOW as barrels bend more easily than you think. Watch the dial indicator; a deflection of a few thousandths might be all it needs. Test fire and then bend some more if needed.

Many years ago a guy I knew bought a bottom of the line Japanese rifle for a ridiculous low price for even back then. Got it sighted in at 25 yards. Then went to 50 yards and it is shooting high and right. Moved the sights and went to 100 and again shooting high and right but couldn't move the sights enough to get it on target. Had an idea what the problem was but no way to remove what passed for a breech plug as the tang was welded to the end of the barrel. Put a new barrel in it for him and he left the old one with me. Just to confirm what I thought I cut the barrel off at the face of what was supposed to be the breech plug. The barrel had runout going to the bottom angled flat on the left side. Won't even go into what I found that passed for a breech plug.

i go with the put the rear sight in and see if it regulates if it does then it could be as simple as opening the hole in the peep or as suggested tweeking the peep if opening the hole rember the ball goes the direction you move the hole. remember that screwing with the barrel is non refundable as in you can't put metal back once you remove it! re crowning is a option and can be checked with a machinist square it must be flat across all 8 flats

GO SLOW as barrels bend more easily than you think. Watch the dial indicator; 'a deflection of a few thousandths' might be all it needs. Test fire and then bend some more if needed.
Correction added ... 'a permanent deflection of a few thousands' might be all it needs.

Just be aware you'll need to bend it WAY past that point to make the bend take the set ...

What could possibly go wrong.
Nothing ... have bent over a dozen now - rifles too! One a non-BP milsurp WW2 bring back with 2 bends in the upper barrel ... brought it back to being 'dead on' @ 100-yards. Easy peasy ... :ghostly:

Those who question the practice ... well, have never done it ;) .

Did the rifle shoot befor you put the peep sight on?
If the answer is yes the peep sight your problem.

If the answer is no you could be the problem or the barrel isn't set in the stock correctly.

Telling us it's a percussion rifle really doesn't give enough detail for anyone to make a decent guess as to what the problem is.

When I bought the rifle i noted that the rear sight on the barrel had the notch located way off to the right up against the ear of the buck horn. I removed the rear sight, measured and drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the tang for the peep sight I installed. Test firing at my range showed the gun shooting 6+" to the left. This off of a sand bag rest at 30 yards. I know I am not the source of the error as I achieved a 3/4" group of 5 shots 6+'left of the bull. I proceeded to drift the front sight in the dovetail such that the blade lines up with the left edge of the top flat. That brought my groups to about 1.5" to the left of the bull. I can't move the front sight any further as it would come out of the dovetail, and the peep sight can only be adjusted for elevation. Thus my dilemma. Based on some of the suggestions in this thread I checked the side of the barrel with a straight edge, and there are no gaps to be seen. I dropped a bore light down the bore and the light appears to be circular, and not oval shaped. There may be a crown issue and I am going to check that next.

Only one mounting hole in the tang? Is your peep sight a lolly pop type? A typical tang sight requires two holes for the base. Can you provide some photos? If it's a lolly pop, you may have drilled the hole to hit center in the tang but at an angle to the left instead of plumb.

Latest posts

Back