• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was having trouble focusing on the front blade so decided to try a peep. I bought a marbles bulls eye sight removed most of the dovetail and drilled a hole through it. You’ll need a longer tang screw but looks like it should work fine. Thought about removing the outer ring but think I’ll leave it for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpeg
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Was having trouble focusing on the front blade so decided to try a peep. I bought a marbles bulls eye sight removed most of the dovetail and drilled a hole through it. You’ll need a longer tang screw but looks like it should work fine. Thought about removing the outer ring but think I’ll leave it for now.
Nice! I like what you have done there, @cgoff. Now, the next thing to do is tap the centre hole for an adjustable iris. I do like a peep sight for my ageing eyes.

Here's one I put on my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken.

Pete

sight2.jpg

Nice! I like what you have done there, @cgoff. Now, the next thing to do is tap the centre hole for an adjustable iris. I do like a peep sight for my ageing eyes.

Here's one I put on my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken.

Pete

View attachment 304799
Pete,
What peep sight is that? I have the same Rocky Mountain Hawken and want to try the one you have mounted on yours.

Pete,
What peep sight is that? I have the same Rocky Mountain Hawken and want to try the one you have mounted on yours.
Hi @zerosprk! I made this one. It's easy to do with minimal tools. I used a piece of bar stock that I trimmed down to an L shape with a file. I drilled a hole in one end for mounting, and used a store-bought bolt for fixing - this screw replaces the one that goes down through the rifle, threading into the trigger area (metric M5 is the size). The single screw has never shifted, that big flat head makes it very secure. For the aperture, I drilled and tapped a hole suitable for a discarded Parker Hale sight that I had on hand - it's got an adjustable iris to suit a range of light conditions. If you can't find one of these simply use an aperture that suits, like the ones from Lyman or Marbles receiver sights. I kept the peep low so it wouldn't catch on stuff in the bush. Elevation was determined by the correct front sight height, windage corrected by tapping the front sight left or right accordingly. Fortunately, the mounting hole is right in the centre, and the lovely long barrel makes for an awesome sight radius, improving accuracy.

Full disclosure for honesty, use the search feature on this site and enter 'peep sight by Tom A Hawk'. He makes a lovely sight very similar to mine; he still sells them too. How do I know? I have one of his, and it's lovely - I just wanted to try to make my own, so plagiarised some of his proven ideas. The final picture below shows my rifle when I had Tom A Hawk's sight in place. Tom A Hawk's has some elevation and windage adjustment too! If you do purchase his, that will mount straight onto your rifle using the same store-bought M5 bolt of the correct length.

These sights are unobtrusive, minimalist, not spoiling the aesthetics of the rifle.

Cheers, Pete

sight1.jpg
sight2.jpg

Rockymountainhawken-.jpg

Latest posts

Back