• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Undersized Round balls into paper targets.....?? Accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a similar experiment to prepare for a woods walk. I compared the known accuracy of shooting my 1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle using the 0.535" balls with 0.018" patching to using 0.520" balls and 0.010 patching. Loading was much easier and accuracy for shooting at the woods walk type targets was acceptable. It was my lack of ability to hold on the offhand shots that was responsible for most of my misses.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/small-ball.138068/#post-1930006

I note you have them extra set of eyes and a bit of gray in your hair.
I was a crack shot at twenty, not so much now, as I suffer your same afflictions.
I understand your paper aversion, but to get a real sense how do you shoot if you shot a full .490 and tight load off that rest.
In the hands of a blood shooter that gun can print one hole at thirty/thirty five yards. However you have to have a good eye to get that. And I ain’t got the eye.
The fact is I would expect better than your shots from my smoothie if all was equal.
On the other hand if your best shots are four to five inches at that range then the smaller ball didn’t have much of an effect.
Now since we dabble in history here, the gun was a tool to kill. Deer or redcoat the small ball would put meat in the pot and a redcoat in the great beyond, so it’s a reasonable load.
Maybe try a heavy duck or denim as a patch as the double patch may have effected how well it could work(?)

I've shot .451 bare balls in my 45 with good accuracy out to 30 yds or so. I tried it for a fast second hunting shot. I killed a javelina with the load this spring at about 20 yds after misjudging the range and missing a shot at one further away with my normal load. The ball went right where it was aimed. The idea is the same, shoot fast when it's needed.
I think the Maniac's shooting is pretty good considering the shaky rest!

Ran out of .475s for my .48 eleven shots into a 20 shot agg. Double patched some borrowed .445s and placed in an agg. I now carry more than anticipated need.

I think you'd do better with a proper front rest and rear bag, Mark. Would you be willing to retest with my suggested change?
I may try it again using a better rest....IF....I can run across one somewhere.
Come to think about it....I may try filling small feed sacks with sand and find a more sturdier table.
There are all kinds of things I can do that makes it better.
However, this ol' 1/2 blind shooter still relies on a lot of pure ol' luck....

I imagine many times in history a poor fellow was stuck with a 50 cal gun and 45 cal balls. Good info to know if you had no other options .

Ive often wondered how well it would work, and what or if theres a good method for useful accuracy with undersize balls. With the periodical shortages of supplies, being able to use alternate sizes is useful information.

How about going to the local hardware store and buying a few 3/8" dowels. You could do a video on the accuracy and penetration of a ramrod as a last ditch effort to keep your hair.
I can tell you with 100% sincerity a ramrod can fly straight to the bullseye at 25 yards, punch through and go out to at least 75 yards!!!!

How about going to the local hardware store and buying a few 3/8" dowels. You could do a video on the accuracy and penetration of a ramrod as a last ditch effort to keep your hair.
That's a pretty good idea. I haven't shot any ramrods in a while.
I'll definitely put that one together this week & post soon.
Thanks for the idea.

Shooting the .490's out of a 50 caliber would make a boring video because that's what everyone else does.
I like to try what others aren't willing to try to see the outcome.
Thanks for watching.
This is about having fun. Your vids are almost like a day at the range with a friend

Back