• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Books to own

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natdscott

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

As stated elsewhere, I am not without a little experience loading rifles from the front.

That said, THIS here forum is a wealth of a lot of knowledge I don't have yet.

In addition to the browsing I am doing: What books would all of you say are "must have" when learning about target shooting with patched round ball, smallbore muzzleloading, paper patching, casting, etc. ?

Thanks!

-Nate

The CVA Muzzleloading manual from the late 70's is a good place to start. A lot of good info on the basics and getting started.

s-l1600.jpg

What Phill said
But I like a real book more than my kindle.
Ned Roberts shooting the cap lock rifle is a must, Sam Falada muzzeloading handbook is great and Lyman’s black powder ballistics is good.
I read plenty online, but I also like holding a real book. Still use cedar pencils, too.

Now, I have been looking at Fadala's work...

...WHICH edition of The BP Handbook do I need?

Is there a difference, or is it just publishing date and cover art differences?

Thanks!

I read plenty online, but I also like holding a real book. Still use cedar pencils, too.

Now, I have been looking at Fadala's work...

...WHICH edition of The BP Handbook do I need?

Is there a difference, or is it just publishing date and cover art differences?

Thanks!
I have the first, so I’ve not read the others

Probably one of the better starting books the "The Black Powder Accuracy System" by Dutch Schoultz. This will cover target shooting, round ball sizing, patching material sizing and care and cleaning of the muzzleloader. It is focused on percussion rifles, but most of the information is applicable to flint lock shooting. Dutch didn't really cover paper patching or conical bullets. Yes, Dutch has passed away, but the system is still available, and I do consider it well worth the asking price.
https://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
With respect to the many Sam Fadala books, the articles on shooting tend to lead one to overload the rifle, but Sam was hunting game at long ranges that required more powder and a heavier ball than many of us need for our shooting experience. The different editions will have the same information with little difference from one edition to the other. GEt the cheapest edition you can find. The early Lyman books from the 1970's and 1980's are great with information is still applicable to modern shooting although these were written before Swiss, Schuetzen, Olde Eyensford powders were available and has limited information on Pyrodex and no information on the other substitute black powders.

Look for the Black Powder Gun Digest books. Basic information is similar from edition to edition. Some new material on new equipment will be presented.

Continue the browsing on the Forum. You will have to critically assess the information presented as regional and personal preferences get included. The Tables and useful information will be helpful and has been fairly well vetted by the moderators and while some information is kind of outdated, still a good starting read.

The Videos by Duelist 1954, The Black Powder Maniac and a few others are worth spending time watching.

If at all possible, meet up with members of a traditional muzzle loading gun club to get the local insights to successful muzzleloading.

Latest posts

Back