• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting PAPER targets again?? Oh my........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'd say you redeemed yourself Mark. What a difference a solid rest makes compared to that wobbly table and tote. I guess the ol' mountain man could have still fed himself in a pinch with a handful of undersized balls.

Did you swab between shots or sets of ball sizes? I could see where loading a .490" ball and .020" patch on a fouled bore would be a chore. My hunting load is a .490 with a .018" patch, very accurate, but after about 3 or 4 shots very difficult to load.

All, If you're going to take multiple shots in a short period of time, a wet lube will help keep the BP fouling in check. 1 part Ballistol : 6 parts water works for me, but there are lots of other options, including spit.

That was interesting. I've always shot .490 and 50 gr in my .50. I use pillow ticking and spit patch on the range. I tried .495 but they loaded too tightly.

Very interesting results. And a very convincing argument that the ball/patch/bore combo should be snug. Plus, early on I was mentored to "always keep your pressure up". The .440 proved that by letting gasses bypass. However, I have once had an interesting experience with an undersized ball. I went to our Arkansas State Champion shoot one year and brought my 'half breed' target rifle. I normally used a .445" ball and .015" patching. On arriving, I found I had forgotten my supply of .445s at home. 😲 I shopped around the vendors and was able to only find on box of swaged .440s. Surprisingly they grouped as well as my .445s. From a bench I had 4 shots in the 10 ring and on 8 where I failed to read the wind properly. Your answer about which size is best was spot on. Barrels are different, even from the same manufacturer. Shooting is the only way to determine the 'best' size for ones rifle.

Good shooting. Is that a new rifle? I don't remember seeing that one in your other videos
It is a custom one I picked up for 1/2 price last summer.
I wasn't really interested in another rifle but I bought it for the price of the parts needed to build it.
I don't shoot it very often and even less on the videos.
I'm going back to the factory guns on future vids...
Thanks for watching.....

Latest posts

Back