• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Undersized Round balls into paper targets.....?? Accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@B P Maniac Shooter, be sure to visit us of the Gemmer Club when you come to the Hawken Classic.

Mark, you do show that you can get a lot of enjoyment using factory, affordable traditional muzzle loading rifles.

Continue to have fun making your videos.
Of course, any member of the forum is welcome to visit with the members of the Gemmer Muzzleloading Gun Club at the Hawken Classic.

WOW.....I posted what I think is one of the ( safest ) shooting video ( shooting undersized balls SAFELY by myself at a paper NMLRA target 30 yards out with a 300' high hillside behind it ) in a while & get beat up for it. I try not to shoot paper targets because everyone else does that....and....frankly, I see it as boring.

With the ease of video editing as it is today...I could shoot those paper targets as many times as it would have taken for me to hit in the black on all 5 shots and only edited those video clips on the video. Who would watch that? I don't do that...what you see is what you get. I'm a confessed poor shooter with plenty of misses along with the occasional good shot is posted for all to see.

Geez...I even post a miranda safety warning ( ear & eye protection is strongly recommended ) on all shooting videos because of complaints 4 years ago.

Except for 2-3 recent videos ( using a home made gun I bought last August & only used it on some videos recently ) and 2 more coming soon shooting steel........ this channel has 200+ videos mainly focusing on factory traditional guns for a reason. Most of us start out with a factory gun, not those $1500---$2000+ dollar BP guns. I want the new shooter to see he can get into the hobby for a lot less than purchasing one of those high end guns. I have nothing against high end guns, I just realize most folks doesn't start to at the top and neither did I.

I figured even those that dislike the BPMS channel would agree this most recent shooting undersize ball video was performed safely and somewhat interesting to watch. Sadly, that's all part of putting one's self out there in the cyber world. Some viewers enjoy the videos, some will never like them regardless of what topics I post.

My bride and I planning on traveling to the N-SSA in Virginia in a few weeks, the Hawken Classic in Missouri, shooting a family fun video in Ohio, Friendship for both National Shoots, going to PA twice ( the Pioneer Flats Shootout in Pennsylvania and shooting with other friends near Gettysburg in July ) possibly to S. Carolina in the fall & back to Pigeon Forge Tennessee later this year to shoot with BP shooters and promote the hobby as much as I can. All of those locations mentioned will have some type of fun video posted about it after we get home. I'm even planning on doing another trekking video this summer and a 2 day 1780's Period correct canoe trip.

After all, this hobby needs all the promotion it can get and I plan on continuing to do my part.

In the next few weeks, I'm posting a contest to give away a really nice frontier style knife & a neat powder horn. I even ship the prizes to the winners for FREE. I just need to meet up with the fellar that makes these type knives over in Ohio & pick one up.

Also......

I'll be giving away a really nice Black Powder gun to a lucky subscriber just as soon as the channel hits 12,000 subscribers. Stay tuned....

God Bless...

View attachment 219571
Keep it up Mark, Just keep having fun and ignore the stick in the mud types.
If they get to noisy but them in the lock box.

I'll be giving away a really nice Black Powder gun to a lucky subscriber just as soon as the channel hits 12,000 subscribers. Stay tuned....

God Bless...

View attachment 219571
For what it's worth, I've been a subscriber for some time now. If my name is drawn from the hat I'd rather see the gun gifted to a young person interested in getting into the sport.

No marksmanship, very little respect to the weapon or its place in our history. I quit watching this stuff because it is sensational garbage. These are firearms and should be treated with respect and great care with ultimate safety in mind and not for seeking what whacky stunt that I can come up with next. It’s not a matter of if you screw up but when and then we all look like idiots. It is not entertainment. Don’t present it as such.
Don’t thank me for watching.
What is it exactly, that you have done to promote muzzleloading to a wide audience? Nothing, I will surmise.

@B P Maniac Shooter, be sure to visit us of the Gemmer Club when you come to the Hawken Classic.

Mark, you do show that you can get a lot of enjoyment using factory, affordable traditional muzzle loading rifles.

Continue to have fun making your videos.
I definitely will have fun producing the videos!! Shooting them by myself makes it interesting...and...I get to film a lot of them.
I stopped by the Gemmer booth for short time last year at the Classic.

I'll drop by and stay a little longer this time in August.
I plan on putting together another fun video of all the activities going on this year.
Mrs BPMS & I can't wait to stop by...!!

I don't know this as fact but I imagine during the revolutionary War and even the Civil War (if you didn't have minnie balls) in the heat of battle they didn't worry about a patch and just dropped a ball down over the powder and shot at the enemy.

Here's a few I can think of in recent years:

1. Permitting over 25 brand new shooters the opportunity to shoot a factory flintlock rifle and percussion pistol for FREE all day long...4 separate videos shows the fun annually in September for 3 years now. The 2 BP guns ( GPR & Great Plains pistol ) are loaded by me will over 90 times each for others to shoot that weekend of the Pioneer Flats Shootout in Franklin PA. We are going back again in September 2023.
Videos on the BPMS channel.

2. Show the ladies ( 16 year olds to 70 years olds ) that has never shot a BP gun the opportunity to shoot one and enjoy the fun on a FLINTLOCK FEMALE FUN video. I have 3 ladies ready to shoot these type videos in the next few weeks when it warms up. You'll be seeing those ladies in action soon. Videos on the BPMS channel.

3. Show multiple videos of the NMLRA National Shoot fun twice a year since 2017.
8-10 videos on the BPMS channel.

4. Host a New Year's Day FREE shoot at Friendship annually. I bring goodies to eat and offer FREE shooting to anyone that asks....along with others. 61 shooters attended the NYD shoot back in January 2023.
4-5 videos on the BPMS channel.

5. Post videos of trade shows in southern KY and PA for anyone that wants to watch them.

6. Shoot with others in Missouri, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Ohio and Indiana multiple times every year. We are heading to those same places starting with the N-SSA shoot over in VA. in a few weeks.

7. Give away lots of Schuetzen powder ( when it was hard to find last year ) and several brand new black powder factory firearms last year...all courtesy of my billfold. Videos on the BPMS channel.

8. Fixing to give away a VERY nice BP gun in a few months....also courtesy of my billfold.
Video contest will be posted on the BPMS channel.

9. Going to give away a home made frontier knife and a carved powder horn soon through a contest.
Video will be posted on the BPMS channel.

10. I send other shooters FREE round balls, FREE lead and FREE Lee's melting electric pots at no charge.

11. Show the fun of Woods Walk shooting several times a year while at the Friendship National Shoots...next one will be posted in June 2023 when the National Shoots are going on. Several videos are on the BPMS channel.

12. The Channel has multiple videos showing new shooters how to remove stuck balls, cut patches, how to clean guns, use CO2 bottles, etc. Videos on the BPMS channel.

13. I seldom attend organized shoots, but will promote the clubs I do shoot with on video.

14. I offer my time to talk to 4th-5th grade kids several times a year any at a local historical cabin ( in frontier attire ) about the frontier living in KY during the 1780's. Just held such an event 2 weeks ago with sixty 5th graders in attendance. Another one will be in September 2023. That one will have 150 students in attendance.
One video on the BPMS channel.

15. I try unusual BP experiments on video others only talk about. Videos on the BPMS channel.

16. Looking for a cap rifle to give FREE to a brand shooter that wants to get in the hobby that lives over in Ohio.

That's enough for this response.
Hope this answers the question.

Thanks for asking.
Hey Mark, just to be clear @waksupi wasn't asking that question to you, it was to the crabby old man that was putting you down yesterday. He was defending you when he asked him that.

I don't know this as fact but I imagine during the revolutionary War and even the Civil War (if you didn't have minnie balls) in the heat of battle they didn't worry about a patch and just dropped a ball down over the powder and shot at the enemy.
That's exactly what I would have done.
Who cares about patching when you're being shot at.
Drop the RB or a Minnie ball down the barrel after the powder & shoot!

Yeah, I failed to catch that.
Thanks my friend.......I have more fun videos ready to post soon...

What is it exactly, that you have done to promote muzzleloading to a wide audience? Nothing, I will surmise.
Need to educate. Some folks build rifles because they have talent in that area. Others are incredible marksmen. Others promote the discipline in ways that help others in the interest of the discipline and push customers to buy from others. So promoting the discipline by doing videos of letting folks shoot guns for free, teaching the history at churches or historical venues is another way, wacky videos to help teach folks how to or what not to do to help them in the sport. Rather than condemn someone for one video, one must look at the scope of work to support of the individual. If all one does is build rifles for a customer, how is that promoting muzzleloading? That is filling an order and nothing more. Look beyond a 10 minute video and the world is much more than that video.

No marksmanship, very little respect to the weapon or its place in our history. I quit watching this stuff because it is sensational garbage. These are firearms and should be treated with respect and great care with ultimate safety in mind and not for seeking what whacky stunt that I can come up with next. It’s not a matter of if you screw up but when and then we all look like idiots. It is not entertainment. Don’t present it as such.
Don’t thank me for watching.
Boy you're really being a stuffed shirt! I'd like you to state what safety issue was a problem in this video. I saw none. What I did see was that in a pinch you can use an undersized ball as long as you have the proper thickness in patching. If I had some .440" or .451" balls I'd try to do the same test just for fun. After all, even with a .490 ball in a .50 the ball never touches the rifling anyway - so what's the difference if you fill that "void" between bullet and bore with a thicker patch except maybe some velocity loss.

In the diaries of the western fur traders (peruse LINK) there are numerous first hand accounts of reloading that way.

Last edited:
If I had some .440" or .451" balls I'd try to do the same test just for fun.
If you send me your postal address thru PM here......I'll send you some of those remaining .440's and .451's so you can test them for yourself. I'm sure you'll be able to hit the target much better than this ol' blind KY boy did..

They will be sent FREE of charge.

Your video's are fun and well worth watching. This post and the stuffed shirt made me go subscribe to your channel. Looking forward to the "RamRod Shoot". Go get 'em!

Back