• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I’m curious

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will check this tomorrow at the range, but am curious, so I’ll post this to see what you all think.

.50 TC Flintlock, 72 gr of 2 F, pretty accurate at 50 yds so far.

if target was switched to 25 yds, I am thinking I would have to hold low to have a chance of hitting one of those miserable squirrel paper targets.

in other words, I am thinking with a dead on hold, the gun will shoot high at 25 yds. Question is, how much.

yes, my club does have a contest on Saturday. Haha!

I will check this tomorrow at the range, but am curious, so I’ll post this to see what you all think.

.50 TC Flintlock, 72 gr of 2 F, pretty accurate at 50 yds so far.

if target was switched to 25 yds, I am thinking I would have to hold low to have a chance of hitting one of those miserable squirrel paper targets.

in other words, I am thinking with a dead on hold, the gun will shoot high at 25 yds. Question is, how much.

yes, my club does have a contest on Saturday. Haha!
I guess you will soon see. Nothing like testing a speculation. The target will soon satisfy your curiosity. Have an enjoyable shoot.

Kindest regards, Pete

I should probably add that my 65g load for a .495 ball is fine at 25-50 yards, but it drops and loses enough velocity to get wonky by 100yds. At 80g its back to being on target with a 2-3 inch group. I haven't worked it to see if I can get smaller groups at that range, yet, nor have I tested it with an 80g charge closer than 100yds. I don't want to use bigger charges than needed for target shooting. Similarly, my .40 is dead on at 25 yds with a 40g charge but needs 60g at 50.

Point being that many of these rifles have at least two loads that are accurate and at point of aim for different distances. Depending on what your desires are, youight want to develop a load for up close and another for farther away.

It was all a moot point as once I got to the range I discovered my Lyman rear peep sight had somehow gotten bent.
I will see if I can straighten it somehow.

good news is my old Interarms Hawken shot well at 25 and 50 yards, even with those awful Hawken sights on it. I will change them out.

Worked up this load for hunting. Fired from a single point rest. Not “ Bench rest” precision by any means but flat enough to work well on deer &hogs out to my personal range limits with primitive iron sights and my 72 yr old eyes.
IMG_2019.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you ever tried to adjust your powder charge to the range you are shooting at? For example,

25 yards shoot 50 grains
50 yards 60 or so

I do this quite a bit. Mine works out shooting 50 grains in my 50 that's dead on the meat at 25, then I hold the front sight a tad high at 50. Not a tad high on the target, but a tad high in the buckhorn. The front sight is still on the 6 o'clock on what I want to hit. This all works for me until I'm shooting 90 grains at 100 yards.

Go to the range some day and give it a shot. But don't just do it from a bench, do some offhand shooting too to make sure everything lines up.

HH

at 25 and 50 yds, the Interarms shoots to the same impact point. Tried it out yesterday at our shoot and it worked fine. I was very pleased with the results.
now to replace the sights, and press on.

I used the Interarms Hawken at our last club shoot last weekend. I’m pleased with results, as I did better than I ever had at 25 yds and 50 yds.
thanks for all the replies.
I have ordered a Tom A Hawk peep sight, and expect to do better.

Tweeking loads for different distances may be fine for target shooting but does not translate well to hunting situations, unless you are shooting a set distance at baited stations.

Small game calibers are sighted in at 30 yards and big game calibers are sighted "point blank" at 100.

Back