• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting my .83 Matchlock Musket at 35 yards.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THE EMBER BURNING ON THE BENCH AMOUNGST THE GEAR ? :doh: ( didn't mean that to be all capitals sorry )

Teleoceras said:
Artificer:

Is that one of the strap-on PAST Recoil Pads you are using when shooting that matchlock? If so, I applaud your good sense.

Correct. I've had that pad since the mid 80's and she is still going strong!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

OK, that explains how you are shooting 140 gr. of 1 Fg and a 760 grain ball without separating your shoulder in a few shots. I imagine that during the period of these matchlocks, the padded jerkins with or without the iron breastplate saved the shoulders of many shooters.

Gus

Those rubber mats work great. I picked mine up at Home Depot. Yes, you just roll it up and take it back and forth to the Range.
For loading I use a small carpeted car mat. Rubber on the bottom, carpet on the top. Walmart has some real small ones and cost maybe $3-4.00. The little teeth on the bottom of the mat keep it from sliding while loading.
Rick. :hatsoff:

Sean:

:eek:ff looking at your bench. I was shooting with a forum member earlier this month & he had a rubber matt cut to fit the top of his bench.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft

You could do the same & just roll it up & take it home. The savings on iodine for splinters from that bench would soon pay for it. :grin:

I shoot a lot off a concrete bench at a public range & use a moving blanket, but I think I will get a matt instead. It seemed to totally remove the worry of scratching up a fine rifle. :2

I just use my canvas gun cover as an elbow rest. I never had to worry about splinters.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Last edited by a moderator:
Artificer:

OK, that explains how you are shooting 140 gr. of 1 Fg and a 760 grain ball without separating your shoulder in a few shots. I imagine that during the period of these matchlocks, the padded jerkins with or without the iron breastplate saved the shoulders of many shooters.

I should add that the Musket is quite heavy and would need to use a unipod if fired offhand. That weight helps with the recoil.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Latest posts

Back