• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting my .83 Matchlock Musket at 35 yards.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G;
Nice, big, holes.

But do yourself and me a favor and PLEASE do NOT keep putting your face right over the pan AFTER you've just "tried" your match to "blow" your match. OMG!

Alden:

But do yourself and me a favor and PLEASE do NOT keep putting your face right over the pan AFTER you've just "tried" your match to "blow" your match. OMG!

Actually my face isn't over the pan although it may look like that at that angle.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Artificer:

Is that one of the strap-on PAST Recoil Pads you are using when shooting that matchlock? If so, I applaud your good sense.

Correct. I've had that pad since the mid 80's and she is still going strong!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Dang Tele, even the ones out of the bull would make some serious flesh-wounds! Mighty big dents in anyone's breast plate or cod piece! Which one of your ladies was that? :shocked2: :thumbsup:

Teleoceras said:
Alden:

Actually my face isn't over the pan although it may look like that at that angle.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

G;
Sure does look it. Maybe review seconds 57 and 58 in the video (and 2:03 and 3:50 in for that matter)
just to be sure -- sometimes we don't realize exactly what danger condition we're in. Looks like you are leaning right over the gun, head above the pan (exactly where a blast would be directed), to give that match its final blow and glow to me. Might look that way to others too and wouldn't want to promote that...

That sure is a nice honkin' gun!

Wes:

Dang Tele, even the ones out of the bull would make some serious flesh-wounds! Mighty big dents in anyone's breast plate or cod piece! Which one of your ladies was that? :shocked2: :thumbsup:

That is Brünhilda.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Alden:

Sure does look it. Maybe review seconds 57 and 58 in the video (and 2:03 and 3:50 in for that matter)
just to be sure -- sometimes we don't realize exactly what danger condition we're in. Looks like you are leaning right over the gun, head above the pan (exactly where a blast would be directed), to give that match its final blow and glow to me. Might look that way to others too and wouldn't want to promote that...

I wouldn't either, but my face is not over the pan at anytime when it was uncovered and the slowmatch was lit. Look closely, the cover was closed when I did the checks during those times. I opened the pan cover only when I was ready to fire with the musket on my shoulder.

The camera wasn't on during loading, but I had brushed away all of the grains so that there was none around on the top of the pan cover.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

G;
Never said your face was over an open pan, but, it was over a closed pan right after you "tried" the match I think you now see. That's a big no-no. You clearly leaned directly over it to blow on the match, at least once even straight down; you could hardly have been any closer! That pan cover, that seconds-before you had rested the burning match on, is NOT staying closed if the gun goes off (it may actually become a projectile) as you are blowing. Blowing is potentially throwing hot embers that just need to find one accomodating grain of black powder in exactly the wrong place to perhaps touch the gun off.

I'm sure you shook the loose powder off the pan and blew it too; you know the drill. Actually, in the good old days you'd cover the pan with the brim of your wool felt hat to blow on the coal. In any case, that's why we call things "accidents." I'm kinda surprised the R.O. didn't say anything... If for no other reason than muscle-memory and the tenet that you cannot rely on mechanical safeties, please be careful. Hands and face, to the extent we can possibly avoid it, just NEVER go around the pan or over the muzzle on any of our guns (including as you're blowing on the coal of slowmatch). They just don't! Not sure what else I can say.

We want you around, intact. If only for more videos please. That said, maybe not this particular one as it is?

Having never seen a matchlock in action, much less an 83 caliber, I have a couple of questions.

1. How much priming powder is used? Do you fill the pan full of prime, or somewhat less?

2. Does the pan cover get gummed up after several shots, or does it keep functioning with use?

3. How much does an .80 caliber ball weigh?

4. Have you ever chronographed her?

5. Have you ever shot it at "armor" to see what it will penetrate?

Tele will answer I'm sure but I'll respond to the first three...

Generally I fill all my separately-primed BP guns with FFFFg as much as I can just up to the touchole. My paper-cartridge loaded guns are all above .50 so get FFg though I have used Scheutzen Reenactor which has some finer (as well as heavier) grains.

No more than other types.

Gotta be about 750 grains, right?

Trent:

Having never seen a matchlock in action, much less an 83 caliber, I have a couple of questions.

1. How much priming powder is used? Do you fill the pan full of prime, or somewhat less?

2. Does the pan cover get gummed up after several shots, or does it keep functioning with use?

3. How much does an .80 caliber ball weigh?

4. Have you ever chronographed her?

5. Have you ever shot it at "armor" to see what it will penetrate?

1. I filled up the pan. I don't know how much was used.

2. Not for me.

3. Around 760gr.

4. Nope.

5. Nope.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

:eek:ff looking at your bench. I was shooting with a forum member earlier this month & he had a rubber matt cut to fit the top of his bench.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft

You could do the same & just roll it up & take it home. The savings on iodine for splinters from that bench would soon pay for it. :grin:

I shoot a lot off a concrete bench at a public range & use a moving blanket, but I think I will get a matt instead. It seemed to totally remove the worry of scratching up a fine rifle. :2

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to get edged carpet samples from carpet stores and distributers and they'd be loaned out to range patrons (with wood rests and sand bags if they wanted) for bench tops and ground (muzzle-loading butt) use.

I hate to tell you this but your url # doesn't
connect with this subject. I tried to forward it
to a friend and when I checked it myself I got
nothing but selections on far different subjects.
What is the real connecting code so I can send that one...This person is very interested in match
locks and wants one...
Wulf

I found the url # you have on the forum works well
on the forum but not at home on search...??????

Back