• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shooting bag options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipmark964

32 Cal
Reaction score
Im looking for a shooting bag im sick of using a backpack ive got too much gear any ideas on what i can useđź‘‹

I’m not quite clear on what you’re looking for. Are you considering a range bag, with handles and zippers and pockets, or a traditional shot pouch slung from your shoulder?

Notchy Bob

Okay, @zipmark964, after a day of shooting and the rifle is cleaned, set your backpack down and take out one item at a time. Did you use it? Set it in the used pile. If you did not use it set it aside in the unused pile. Once everything is out of the backpack, go back to the unused pile. Did you ever use any of those items at the range ever? Name the specific need that the item would be used. Limit the retention rate of the unused items to no more than five items to put in the shooting bag. You should be able to find a suitable shooting pouch that will hold all the used and the five unused items.

Before you go to shoot your rifle, determine what you are planning to accomplish. If you have a need for a specific item, add it to the pouch. You should have the needed items to have a successful day our shooting.

Go to the range and see if you can accomplish all that you intended to do. If you needed something that you didn't have with you, add it to your pouch and remove something that wasn't used. If you are not going to need it on your next shoot, leave it out. Keep only the items that you will need and can justify.

I use one I got from Amazon. It's called a messenger/fishing tackle bag. The name escapes me at the moment. It's a shoulder bag kind of deal. Lots of pockets, and I use the main compartment to put squirrels in when I shot them. It carries nicely. Far from traditional, but very functional.

I have one of these range bags in black. Picked it up at Walmart quite a long while ago. The bag has held up perfectly. Its a great grab n go bag

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930-190736_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930-190736_Chrome.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 0
I have my shot pouch that only contains items I deem necessary to keep my firearm working - jag, bullet puller, patch puller, vent pick, turn screw, capper if I'm using a percussion, patch material, extra round balls, extra flint or two, small folding knife. That is all.
Other stuff, such as lunch, a fire starter kit, compass, map, a book, extra flannel shirt, rain jacket, etc. goes in a haversack or backpack.
For use at the firing range, a bag such as scottmc71 has pictured above works well. Or, many of us opt for a wooden range box. It holds all our target shooting gear. I made my own wooden range box.
However, to start out with a simple bag to carry the necessaries while in the field, you might check an army/navy surplus store for a medical kit bag, or a gas mask bag. You could also check the thrift shops for any bag that will suffice. If and when you really want to go pc, then you can buy a real leather shot pouch, or you can sew up your own, as I have done.
For me, at least, half the fun of muzzleloading is making as much of my own gear as possible.

Maybe Goodwill would be a good place to fined an old Purse. Definitely NOT a period correct item and I would get kicked at a reenactment. BUT! My wife relegated this to
range bag1.jpg

range bag2.jpg

the yard sale pile and I snatched it from the jaws of death. I COULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE FROM TOW FOR $160.00.SO She still tells folks I stole it.LOL!

Is an older topic...

I use a small backpack for deer and turkey... need a sandwiches and drink in there.

For Pheasant etc game jacket older game winner one with the rear game bag.. and shoulder bag for ammo... the g4 free tactical...

looking at those fly fishing and tactical cross body packs. They look OK

I have a fishing tackle box, soft bag, that I bought at WM for about $12 that I use for my revolvers. It will hold two wrapped in towels and some other things too. I'm not one to spend a lot of $$ on specially manufactured equipment or flash brand names about so it suites me fine. Old camera bags work well too.

I have a fishing tackle box, soft bag, that I bought at WM for about $12 that I use for my revolvers. It will hold two wrapped in towels and some other things too. I'm not one to spend a lot of $$ on specially manufactured equipment or flash brand names about so it suites me fine. Old camera bags work well too.
I am like you Hawkeye 2, I like repurposing. I am a kinda pack-rat too.

Latest posts

Back