• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Realizing this is NOT a patch and ball muzzle loader it is a percussion carbine but uses real black Gunpowder and pure lead bullet.
Is anyone here shooting one and do you have experience with it?
Mine is a carbine with the Hahn Machine Works breech modification.
It uses a 1.25" tube normally loaded with a charge of 40 grains GOEX FFg or FFFg powder and a MooseMoulds .54" ring tail bullet and both shoot to essentially he same spot.
The so called sights have been replaced with a Lyman bead front sight and Marble Bullseye rear sight which is a a barrel mounted peep sight.
This is strictly a target load but if used for serious business a 75 grains of FFg, has been tried once. It is not fun to shoot. but is plenty powerful should a feral pig wander across the range.
I suspect a rifle being heavier could use heavier loads and still be comfortable to shoot..
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

Realizing this is NOT a patch and ball muzzle loader it is a percussion carbine but uses real black Gunpowder and pure lead bullet.
Is anyone here shooting one and do you have experience with it?
Mine is a carbine with the Hahn Machine Works breech modification.
It uses a 1.25" tube normally loaded with a charge of 40 grains GOEX FFg or FFFg powder and a MooseMoulds .54" ring tail bullet and both shoot to essentially he same spot.
The so called sights have been replaced with a Lyman bead front sight and Marble Bullseye rear sight which is a a barrel mounted peep sight.
This is strictly a target load but if used for serious business a 75 grains of FFg, has been tried once. It is not fun to shoot. but is plenty powerful should a feral pig wander across the range.
I suspect a rifle being heavier could use heavier loads and still be comfortable to shoot..
Respectfully submitted
Bunk
I had a Sile carbine years ago, also the rifle version. This was in the late 70’s. I did like the little carbine and killed elk with it but I don’t think Charlie had come up with the tubes yet, or if he had, I knew nothing about it. I made paper cartridges for it, also shot a lot of loose powder as well. I liked it well enough but got better accuracy and power from the muzzleloaders so eventually I sold or traded the Sharps. The rifle hung on the wall in my office for a few years and struck up many a conversation about shooting, guns, and the old days. I have an Enfield carbine doing similar duty these days. The Musketoon will give you a good solid whack to with a 70 grain charge behind the 500 grain Minie’… I’ve never shot the full size Enfield rifle so can’t compare but the 54 Sharps rifle was a nice shooting gun. I was young enough to tote it up and down the mountain back then. These days I don’t like anything much more than 8-9 pounds if I’m walking.

Mine is a C. Sharps 45-100 with good sights on it. I hunted elk with it about 18 years ago but found it too nose heavy to comfortably carry around. Would be a good long range target rifle If I'd shoot it more. I will load with a 405 or 325 grn lead bullet with 85 grns of 3F and any lg rifle primer. I prefer my sidelocks nowadays.

I have 2 IAB 1863 Sharps carbines, both with the Larry Flees mod. My dad and I shoot them in Carbine class of North South Skirmish Association competition.

So what would you like to know about them?
sharpsgroup1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh sorry. Thought it was a metal cartridge breech loader in 50 cal.
Is that a falling block that cuts off the back of the paper during loading?

That was the original Sharps design, a linen cartridge, falling block. Raising the block clipped off the back of the cartridge exposing the powder. Ignition was via percussion cap. Only when metallic cartridges were developed with a center primer were Sharps made in that manner and quite a few of the "paper cutters" were modified to accept them.

Back