• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Lyman Great Plains Rifle Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nice older GPR in 54 as well. It’s won its fair share of woodswalks and taken many deer for me. My load is as follows, .016 patch, 530 roundball and 40 grains of Goex fff… that’s for the woods walk, I adjust the powder to 70 grains for deer hunting. It’s a very well made rifle and carry’s the patina of many years in the woods. My only complaint about this old girl is that it’s so heavy, weighing in at just under 9lbs can make it a chore dragging it around the woodswalk or for a long walk to the stand. I’m retiring this rifle as of this year for deer hunting. I’ve recently purchased a kibler Woodsrunner and will be using that for my go-to rifle.

I have a nice older GPR in 54 as well. It’s won its fair share of woodswalks and taken many deer for me. My load is as follows, .016 patch, 530 roundball and 40 grains of Goex fff… that’s for the woods walk, I adjust the powder to 70 grains for deer hunting. It’s a very well made rifle and carry’s the patina of many years in the woods. My only complaint about this old girl is that it’s so heavy, weighing in at just under 9lbs can make it a chore dragging it around the woodswalk or for a long walk to the stand. I’m retiring this rifle as of this year for deer hunting. I’ve recently purchased a kibler Woodsrunner and will be using that for my go-to rifle.
Indeed, after packing my GPR around the woods a few weeks ago trying to squirrel hunt with it, I'm finding the GPR is a bit heavier than what I remembered them being, but that was over 20 years ago. And I doubt the GPR has gotten any heavier in that time frame.:)

I still am eager to put a deer down with it. Most likely be on a sit hunt from a stand. However, it will be best if it be in a little more open space due to the set trigger.

Getting this back on track, here’s a pic of the Lyman 57 sight aperture drilled out to 107 thousands. The best I could do with my phone. Its smoother than what it looks in the pic.

Larger apertures have proven to be superior for this ole boy, especially in lower light conditions. They flat out work.
Spot on. There's reasons why target shoots aren't held at dark thirty.

Indeed, after packing my GPR around the woods a few weeks ago trying to squirrel hunt with it, I'm finding the GPR is a bit heavier than what I remembered them being, but that was over 20 years ago. And I doubt the GPR has gotten any heavier in that time frame.:)

I still am eager to put a deer down with it. Most likely be on a sit hunt from a stand. However, it will be best if it be in a little more open space due to the set trigger.

Why not fit a sling, or cradle it on your shoulder ?

I'm about 20 pounds overweight and I still pack that around in the woods. So what's a 9 pound rifle! ;)

Thanks for the review. I recently acquired a left handed GPR that I am going to try to hunt with next week. I bought a Lyman 57 SML the other day off the classifieds know is was going to have to fabricate a shim to get it to fit. Been trying to find a picture of one and that's what brought me here. You had a picture! Well I had already milled one this after noon and it's a little thicker but most likely will work. I can always reduce the thickness if I can't shoot shorter ranges.
Thanks again for the review.

Love my Lyman .50 GPR and I still am good with buckhorn sight but eyes (and me) are 74 years old so that is changing. Installed Williams peep sight on my .50 T/C Renegade along with a Lyman front globe a year ago and it really improved my targets on that rifle. Was thinking about doing same on the GPR but I really like its simple looks so probably won’t. Not sure why I am still in love with simple open sights but as long as I can still find the target bull I’ll hold off on a peep. Nothing better than burning BP. Nothing!!

As time goes on, my "want bumps" are itching to get out there and hunt with my GPR this fall. I didn't get to do that this past year. But for some reason, I cannot seem to let this one go. Its in the back of my mind much of the time. I do not particularly like the Lyman 57 peep sight. I'd like to find some other peep for it. Most likely a tang type ladder peep.

As time goes on, my "want bumps" are itching to get out there and hunt with my GPR this fall. I didn't get to do that this past year. But for some reason, I cannot seem to let this one go. Its in the back of my mind much of the time. I do not particularly like the Lyman 57 peep sight. I'd like to find some other peep for it. Most likely a tang type ladder peep.

I too far prefer the tang mounted ladder sight myself.

I too far prefer the tang mounted ladder sight myself.
Yep, but the problem is finding one. At least an affordable one.

I know one thing. I’m not going to be satisfied with my GPR until I get a tang type peep for it. That boxy looking Lyman 57 just ain’t cutting it.

I’m with you @ETipp. I like aperture sights, but I can’t handle those big boxy ones. I think they ruin the lines of a rifle.
Ya know, it’s not only the looks of the 57 sight. It’s also the fact that it hangs out farther than I like on the left side. When laying the rifle down on the left side, the box is bearing much of the weight. In short, it’s in the way.

The GPR itself is awesome. Kind of heavy for packing in the mountains but other than that, I love the thing.

Ya know, it’s not only the looks of the 57 sight. It’s also the fact that it hangs out farther than I like on the left side. When laying the rifle down on the left side, the box is bearing much of the weight. In short, it’s in the way.

The GPR itself is awesome. Kind of heavy for packing in the mountains but other than that, I love the thing.
Found 57 sight too boxy as well and not as sturdy as Williams FP

I had an Identical rifle once. Same sight and everything. To call it accurate is an understatement.

20240108_140011.jpg

The load was 110gr 2f Goex, CCI cap and a 310gr Buffalo Ballette. Range of 50 yards from a bench.

Ironhand

Anyone have a fixed rear sight? The one that came with my kit was over filed and doesn’t fit the dovetail.

Anyone have a fixed rear sight? The one that came with my kit was over filed and doesn’t fit the dovetail.
I have several of the original Lyman GPR adjustable rear sights. let me know if you want one.

Attachments

• GPR Adj Sight 2.JPG
    GPR Adj Sight 2.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 0
  • GPR Adj Sight 3.JPG
    GPR Adj Sight 3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back