• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharpening angles on Pfeil chisels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings all and Merry Christmas. Been thinking about buying a power sharpener, and wondered what the grind angle is on various Pfeil chisels/gouges. Some of these power sharpeners seem to have adjustable angle settings. Thanks!

I bought one of those power grinding wheel sharpeners 40 yrs. ago. I found it quicker to sharpen carving chisels using a worn out 600 grit belt on a 1" by 42" belt sander. Gave the pita chisel grinder to a guy that has lotsa tools , and little knowledge of how to use them. As I carve something , I use a small Arkansas hard , smooth , oil stone , dunno meby 1000 grit , and when I have dulled the chisel too much to strop it sharp on an old leather belt, I go to the belt sander and correct the shape of the cutting edge. Has worked for me a long time. Learned it ain't how you git there , just that you git there efficiently.

I also purchased a power sharpener maybe 40+ years ago. I used it a few times and found that it likes to grind away my nice chisels much smaller than a good sharpening stone or diamond plate. The best thing to get is a good honing guide if you need something to keep a consistent angle on your chisels until you learn how to sharpen your chisels. The old adage of K.I.S.S. is still true today.

Just after I stopped using that power sharpener I bought a Lee Valley Veritas Mk. II honing guide and never looked back. It is a wonderful jig. It's price now is a bit expensive but well worth it in my opinion. For gouges you will have to learn how to sharpen them by hand. Not hard but it does have a learning curve to it.
<Veritas Mk.II Standard Honing Guide - Lee Valley Tools>

I also purchased a power sharpener maybe 40+ years ago. I used it a few times and found that it likes to grind away my nice chisels much smaller than a good sharpening stone or diamond plate. The best thing to get is a good honing guide if you need something to keep a consistent angle on your chisels until you learn how to sharpen your chisels. The old adage of K.I.S.S. is still true today.

Just after I stopped using that power sharpener I bought a Lee Valley Veritas Mk. II honing guide and never looked back. It is a wonderful jig. It's price now is a bit expensive but well worth it in my opinion. For gouges you will have to learn how to sharpen them by hand. Not hard but it does have a learning curve to it.
<Veritas Mk.II Standard Honing Guide - Lee Valley Tools>

Or you could get a piece of leather an some polish and make a strop.And practice it’s not that hard to keep an edge on chisels.

Or you could get a piece of leather an some polish and make a strop.And practice it’s not that hard to keep an edge on chisels.
A strop is something to be used after you have established the angle/edge and to remove the "burr". YES - you do keep a strop handy at all times to touch up that edge when it starts to drag on/in the cut. You are correct :thumb:

Latest posts

Back