• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set triggers question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyWhiskers

69 Cal.
Reaction score
When would double-set triggers be H/C for a Lancaster flintlock? Also, are single triggers capable of being adjusted to light pulls without a lot of trouble? GW

Set triggers were around all during the period. They'd be correct on a higher end gun. But they probably were never all that common except on target rifles. If you're building a new rifle it's easy to set up a single trigger for a light pull by locating the pivot point correctly. It's considerably harder to fix one after the fact. Peter Alexander's "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" is an invaluable resource on pretty much every aspect of building and working on "real" (sidelock that is :grin: ) muzzleloaders. There's information on working the sear to correct a hard trigger pull as well as how to set it up correctly right from the start.

Dick

By light, do you mean TPs measured in ounces or pounds? I regularly achieve 2 lb pulls w/ my home made simple trigger assemblies {trigger pinned to trigger plate} by placing the pivot as high as possible and within 1/4" - 5/16" of the sear bar. Also thinning the sear spring and making sure the sear to tumbler engagement is smooth will help. If you want TPs in ounces, then use a doubleset.....Fred

Thanks for the info, guys. :hatsoff: I'm still plottin' and plannin' to build a flintlock rifle. I'm used to the triggers on my T/C. But still wanted to build a correct rifle. GW

Back