• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on replacing a trigger set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two flintlock rifles. Both are custom (presumably from kits) made by others but purchased by me. I have taken deer with both and enjoy shooting both however One has a double trigger (trigger & set trigger) the other is a single trigger w/o set trigger. The rifle without the set trigger has a much better trigger. Smoother pull with no play. The rifle with the set trigger is a harder pull but the set trigger is way too sensitive. Not using the set trigger I have developed a heavy flinch with this rifle due to the slop in the trigger and the excessive trigger pull which forces me to use the set trigger. You can't even barely touch the trigger without it going off. I have tried a few adjustments and it's still way too sensitive in my opinion.

Can trigger pull be adjusted mechanically? Are triggers lock specific? As in with certain triggers only work with certain locks? Is it possible to replace that existing trigger set with another w/o too much work? I do not know the manufacturer of the trigger. I can take the rifle apart to see if I can find any markings. Are triggers lock specific?

I understand that these questions may be difficult to answer without knowing the specifics of the installed equipment but I appreciate any information, tips, tricks, etc.

I'll try to get more information on the installed parts as well.

this forum thrives on show and tell, so pictures help vastly with the advice. knowing (visually ) what the triggers are lets us give relevant advice. most triggers can be fitted to work with most locks. many times the hard pull can be eliminated via tuning the trigger and lock together. no help but flying blind here.

@soup1279, it is quite difficult to get the front trigger of a double set trigger adjusted to remove slop and have a reasonable trigger pull. Most front triggers will have some slop when firing unset. The set triggers can be adjusted so the set trigger release is not so sensitive. As @deerstalkert and @French Colonial have stated, we really are at a loss for an informative reply without pictures of the trigger assembly and identification of the trigger maker. The set trigger can be adjusted. The front trigger unset function is usually not easily adjusted.

One place to start for the adjustment of the set triggers is the instructions from L&R. Better step by step instructions than I usually type out.

https://lr-rpl.com/diagram-of-parts-trigger/

Last edited:
Good info so far, in addition a set trigger is independent of the lock. They do need to be set up to work together but a set trigger can be made to release at at any pressure from once’s to pounds. This maybe beyond the average fellows skill set to do safely. Rarely is a simple twist of a screw going to be the path to success.

I see the forward trigger on a double set as a method of lowering the hammer rather than used for shooting. The geometry of a double set is not conducive to using the front trigger unset.

I have attached pictures as requested. There is a mark on the trigger (shown) but I'm not able to see any marks on the lock itself.
PXL_20231027_213311075.jpg
PXL_20231027_213314817.jpg
PXL_20231027_213615975.jpg
PXL_20231027_213633882.jpg
PXL_20231027_213953465.jpg
PXL_20231027_214000150.jpg
PXL_20231027_214012143.jpg
PXL_20231027_214129393.jpg
Screenshot_20231027-174203.jpg

While you have the triggers out set them and trip the front trigger, then turn the screw between them out one turn. Set them again and pull the front trigger again. You should notice a significant change.

To stiffen the front trigger pull when set you will need to make the front spring stiffer. The adjustment screw in between the triggers just changes the creep when set. I have been able to add a little stiffness by shimming under the front spring where it touches the hump of the trigger plate.

like Phil says in #9 above also play a little with the main spring tension. Sure looks like a Siler lock and a RE Davis to me also. the small screw between the triggers just sets the engagement between the trigger blades. that big bugger is the strength of pull on both. the little flat spring on the front trigger is basically just a trigger return spring. try turning the screws out little at a time.
263947-PXL-20231027-214012143.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back