• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set Trigger for Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I couldn’t find any threads on this so here we go;
Has anyone here installed a Single or Double Set trigger on a Kibler Woodsrunner, using the existing trigger guard?
It looks like a single set might fit better than a double, but I haven’t ever tried a single set trigger that I liked.
Thanks.
Bob

Stan Hollenbaugh's single set trigger can be made to work. As I recall we had to thin the bow of the trigger guard a bit, patch some wood where the trigger plates were different sizes, and tweak the sear spring just a hair. None of the double set triggers I had on hand would fit the trigger guard.

Has anyone here installed a Single or Double Set trigger on a Kibler Woodsrunner, using the existing trigger guard?
It looks like a single set might fit better than a double, but I haven’t ever tried a single set trigger that I liked.
Thanks.
Bob
Have you tried the factory trigger? The trigger on my Colonial breaks at about 1 1/2 pounds. IMHO, Kibler rifles have very nice triggers, right out of the box.

Thanks.
Bob
I would not use a single set because they are goofy.
I have always thought they are a goofy 19th Century target thing.
You “may” have seen such on say, a pair of duelers, but not on a Virginia Longrifle.

Christian Oerter describes a double set in a letter on one his rifles, 1774.

I have a Feather Gun (attributed mate to the Woodsrunner) guard and another guard with a rather smallish bow.
They will accommodate a Davis double set.

That’s the bow, how they relate to sear location and where they fall in the bow of built Woodsrunner....?????

All of the rifles I have made had one primary purpose, hunting. I have set triggers on some of the rifles I built but never use the trigger set while hunting unless it is for squirrels. After way too many cold, numb finger negligent discharges with set triggers while I was hunting, I never use a trigger set when I am shooting at a deer. All my set triggers have a 3# or less unset front trigger. My single trigger guns all have between a 2# and 3# trigger pull, just right for hunting.

As .54ball pointed out, retro-fitting a set trigger depends on the space in the trigger guard and the location of the sear arm. A single set trigger could be made to work, but there is no good way to get a double set trigger to work without some changes. One option to consider might be to replace the trigger guard with one from a Colonial. Given the trigger/sear relationship is about the same on both rifles, you might be able to fit the double set triggers then install the Colonial trigger guard based on the position of the triggers.

Back