• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

weight of trigger pull on a Kibler Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had a deer, elk or bear or pronghorn spook while setting a rear set trigger or cocking the cock back on my flinders. Hunting 50 plus years with game meat to prove for it. If you are stationary and stable in a ground blind or tree stand you can put a frizzen cover on the frizzen and have the cock back at full cock. Would not walk in woods with flint at full cock or percussion hammer full cock or hunt with anybody that does. Slip the frizzen cover off right before the shot. You can use a game call to mask the sound of the click of pulling to full cock or set trigger. For simple trigger, pulling part way back while cocking will be quiet. Double phase, double phase set triggers gives you the option of shooting unset by pulling the front trigger only. Some of these triggers can be set off by pushing the rear set trigger forward. Kind of dangerous. Damn stupid computer keeps wanting to change the word FRIZZEN to frizzed.

How do you avoid the ‘click’ when you bring your gun to full cock so animals don’t hear it? Betting you don’t keep the gun cocked. If you put pressure on the trigger while cocking you are doing the same thing you would do when setting a trigger (two trigger set up). All comes down to practice and muscle memory.

Most of my traditional muzzleloaders have set triggers. Those that don’t, have their single triggers worked down to a pull weight of between 2 and 3 pounds.
You correct that that trigger has to be pulled with the hammer being pulled back. Depending on the manufacturer of the set mechanism the front trigger can be pulled back while pulling the hammer back. However, setting the trigger causes an audible click - at least on mine. Where I hunt deer are 50 feet away. They can hear that.

You correct that that trigger has to be pulled with the hammer being pulled back. Depending on the manufacturer of the set mechanism the front trigger can be pulled back while pulling the hammer back. However, setting the trigger causes an audible click - at least on mine. Where I hunt deer are 50 feet away. They can hear that.
Try holding the front trigger when you are setting the rear trigger, then slowly release it once the rear trigger is in the ‘set’ position. Basically the same procedure you use when you take the gun to full cock, just done with the two triggers instead of the hammer and trigger.

Latest posts

Back