• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screw barrel or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Reads Allens patent on hammer.
Believe.36 caliber
IMG_4344.jpeg
IMG_4345.jpeg

IMG_4346.jpeg

Wanting to go through it and get it back to firing for my uncle.

Thanks

Be gentle. Some of the cast frames of that period had flaws and might crack. Kroil, let soak , heat with propane torch or heat gun. Let cool. Repeat. A 50/50 mix or acetone and transmission fluid will work as a penetrating oil too. Above all, don’t rush. I’ve let stuff soak with the heat cool method for 2 weeks before I even took a wrench to it. Time is your friend. I’m thinking about getting one of these, l like the old Allen pocket pistols!

Why “they “ don’t make a replica of these and the Allen pepperbox I don’t know. Those guns were more common than the Colts , especially among people of limited means( like me).

Next question…. I need to take the nipple out and possibly replace it.
Here is what I am working with
image.jpg

I called track of the wolf but they didn’t have anything. It maybe be something I have to make, not sure. I will try to get an actual picture tonight of the nipple.
I need a wrench with 2 pins coming out (for the hole cut outs above). The face of the nipple is smooth (besides the cone for caps).
Anyone run into this before?

After plenty penetrating oil, gun in vise, small punch in right hole taps clockwise or left hole taps clockwise. Or if you have two people tapping same time? Just a thought.

After it soaks for a while, I was going to give it a go and see if some snap ring pliers would work. If need be I will try the punch.

Avoid the punch, it will ruin the nipple. There are no replacement parts the only way to have it near original is to make another with the spanner holes. Does it really have to come out? The pistol is a point and pop type and a lot of shooting can only reduce its historical value and less important it’s monetary value.

Be gentle. Some of the cast frames of that period had flaws and might crack. Kroil, let soak , heat with propane torch or heat gun. Let cool. Repeat. A 50/50 mix or acetone and transmission fluid will work as a penetrating oil too. Above all, don’t rush. I’ve let stuff soak with the heat cool method for 2 weeks before I even took a wrench to it. Time is your friend. I’m thinking about getting one of these, l like the old Allen pocket pistols!
The 1st place I saw Kroil was at Dixon's Fair; never had seen it before, but now know of it's utility in all sorts of metal working stuff.

Back