• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1851 .36 questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No dice. Spring turns, but not the screw. Trigger/Bolt Spring screw is just as tight.
If you have access to a drill press, clamp the trigger guard frame in the drill press vise. Put a properly-fitting screwdriver bit in the chuck, bring the quill down and align it with the screw. Then, firmly applying pressure onto the screw head, clamp the quill in place. Grasp the chuck by hand and rotate counter-clockwise. Once slightly loose, release pressure on the quill clamp and remove the screw.

Good luck.

Italy is part of Europe and Europe along with 99% of the rest of the world, is metric.

Wow, I never knew that.

What I do know is that there are various metric thread pitches as well as screw sizes.

I am not going to post info on something I don't know. For all I know Uberti builds guns with US standard thread pitch and size.

I love metric. Spent a lot of years with duplicated tools because of US and Metric standards.

Oh and by the way, there is a thing called JIS as well. Its metric but it ain't the same metric as real metric. Ask me now I know.

@Roadkill, one of the best tools that I know of is the small impact tool that uses the 1/4" hex drive bits. This has the advantage of applying the impact vibration while making a small turn at the same time.

I have one similar to the one I have linked below. You will have to get a slotted screwdriver bit and grind the tip to properly fit the slot in the screw. This works just as @Jappo instructs in his post above. Sure, using the plastic handled screwdriver and tapping while turning will do almost the same thing. Of course, several liberal applications of the penetrating oil will help as well. Give the penetrating oil some time to work. A mix of 50% acetone and 50% Automatic Transmission Fluid is one of the best penetrating solutions I know of.

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-10025-3...6b8-982c-6c916a75431e&pd_rd_i=B09D37KHJ1&th=1
I just put one in the Amazon Cart right before I logged in here!

Position the blade on the screw and hit it with a hammer. Might take up to three good strikes. Don't whack away on it. But don't tap on it either. A good solid hit. I have removed many a screw and bolts that way. Works good on stubborn nipples too. The tightest screw on these revolvers is the spring screw.
Worked like a charm on the trigger/bolt spring screw! Thanks! I am ordering an impact screwdriver to try to get the mainspring screw out. THANKS!!!!

If you have access to a drill press, clamp the trigger guard frame in the drill press vise. Put a properly-fitting screwdriver bit in the chuck, bring the quill down and align it with the screw. Then, firmly applying pressure onto the screw head, clamp the quill in place. Grasp the chuck by hand and rotate counter-clockwise. Once slightly loose, release pressure on the quill clamp and remove the screw.

Good luck.
I thought about that but my press does not have a vise. The smallest one is too large for my press.

I got the trigger/bolt spring screw out and found the problem. The previous owner never took it apart and there was a BUNCH of carbon and crud in there. After I cleaned the parts, the pistol operates so much smoother and I can fully tighten the trigger, bolt, and hammer screws without locking up the action. I appreciate all the advice!

I got the trigger/bolt spring screw out and found the problem. The previous owner never took it apart and there was a BUNCH of carbon and crud in there. After I cleaned the parts, the pistol operates so much smoother and I can fully tighten the trigger, bolt, and hammer screws without locking up the action. I appreciate all the advice!
Glad to hear that. Best to disassemble the gun after each outing or you can pack the internals with Mobil 1 grease and disassemble once a year or longer depending on how much you shoot.

Worked like a charm on the trigger/bolt spring screw! Thanks! I am ordering an impact screwdriver to try to get the mainspring screw out. THANKS!!!!
Well good, glad you got em out. I thought about an impact driver but never got around to getting one. I had a Harbor Freight a long time ago. But working on antique engines took its toll on it.
And it works good for stubborn nipples also. I use a socket for that. I cut it to fit nipples.

Very happy to learn that you were able to remove that stubborn screw without having to resort to a torch, pyrotechnics, or worse. 😀

Hope you enjoy that daylights out of your revolver.

Received the impact driver today. Took about 30 seconds and two good hits. I chucked the screw in my drill and dressed the head to take out the burrs. All I need to do now is cold blue the screw. Thanks, All!

Received the impact driver today. Took about 30 seconds and two good hits. I chucked the screw in my drill and dressed the head to take out the burrs. All I need to do now is cold blue the screw. Thanks, All!
That's great. Same principle on nuts and bolts. Rusted frozen moving parts on antiques.
Enjoy, have fun and stay safe..

As an oil field mechanic for nearly 50 years learned that applying pressure to tighten, tap screwdriver then apply pressure to loosen and tap will many times break the rust or carbon crust that has the fastener locked down. Glad you persevered.
1710168381625.jpeg

As an oil field mechanic for nearly 50 years learned that applying pressure to tighten, tap screwdriver then apply pressure to loosen and tap will many times break the rust or carbon crust that has the fastener locked down. Glad you persevered.
Yep, I was an oilfield mechanic also. My mentor was about 30 years my senior. He had a saying, if I can't fix it, I'll mess it up so bad nobody fix it.
Learned a lot from that old guy.

I've done that before on stuff that didn't really matter, but never on a brass framed gun. The impact screwdriver worked like a charm, so it is going into my gunsmithing toolbox!

That's great. Same principle on nuts and bolts. Rusted frozen moving parts on antiques.
Enjoy, have fun and stay safe..
The impact screwdriver I bought also has easy-out and hex head bits, so I should be ready next time for more than just guns.

I got to shoot the 1861 today and I was shocked and surprised. I didn't know that there was NO recoil! I learned a very valuable lesson about moisture. I thought I had finished shooting and rinsed the barrel and cylinder. It didn't do any good anyway. A couple of hours later, I decided to shoot one more cylinder. One chamber out of 6 went off, even after multiple tries. When I got home, I learned how to remove nipples and punch balls out of the cylinder. When I DID aim at a target, it hit exactly where I was aiming, just to the right of the nose. I was very surprised! Now, I have to try the .50 rifle I built. Thanks, again, for all the help!

Oh what fun, welcome to the addiction. Yes it's easier to remove the balls like that. My first time I used a long wood screw and a vise. Then my lightbulb came on.
Enjoy and stay safe...

Latest posts

Back