• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 50 caliber octagon barrel and I was considering cutting perhaps 10 in of it and making a single shot target pistol.

Not sure what would be more simple. An inline type nipple ( think revolver style hammer and trigger ) or a side lock ?

I'm thinking the inline style might be most simple. Perhaps use a revolver trigger and mainspring. It seems like that would be fairly simple. Obviously you would not need the hand or the cylinder bolt stop.

I saw TOW has a threaded type of breech plug with a built-in nipple of the inline style that I believe is from Thompson contender in either 50 or 54 caliber. Do you think it could be tapped in to the back of a cut and cleaned up octagon barrel in 50 caliber? I would like to think I could secure it without welding but welding is an option.

Thoughts?

rifles usually have a one in 48 and pistols 1 in 20. the only pistol I have personally seen made from a rifle barrel the fellow loads it really hot because he said that the best accuracy he gets but he usually does not hit much if anything..

rifles usually have a one in 48 and pistols 1 in 20. the only pistol I have personally seen made from a rifle barrel the fellow loads it really hot because he said that the best accuracy he gets but he usually does not hit much if anything..
I considered boring it out to make a shot pistol. Or patched round ball

I built a mule ear pistol out of a 10 inch cut-off 36 caliber rifle barrel. The twist is 1-48 - like Nick says, that not really the right thing for a pistol and the accuracy isn't great.

Barrels intended for use with patched round ball typically use pretty slow twist. IIRC, my CVA Mountain Rifle has a 1:60 twist. Seems like barrels for mini balls were faster, for the heavier and slower projectile, but I never had one of those. The Ruger Old Army has a 1:16 twist and performs well. A round ball in a pistol will have quite a lower velocity than a rifle, but still probably needs to spin about the same angular velocity for good performance. So, it would seem that you want faster twist for a pistol than for a rifle. I would be hesitant about using a cut down rifle barrel unless you would be happy with the equivalent of smooth bore performance.

Latest posts

Back