• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmgaunt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello. I inherited two black powder rifles from my late uncle. One is Japanese made, likely from the Korea war timeframe. The other is a “newer” Thompson Arms model. The Japanese 45 caliber rifle has a cracked through the barrel, and will never be fired again. The Thompson, I have yet to inspect.

Attachments

• IMG_7580.jpeg
    IMG_7580.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
Hello. I inherited two black powder rifles from my late uncle. One is Japanese made, likely from the Korea war timeframe. The other is a “newer” Thompson Arms model. The Japanese 45 caliber rifle has a cracked through the barrel, and will never be fired again. The Thompson, I have yet to inspect.

So, the Thompson Arms is a .50 cal with serial #127011 and in pretty darn good condition. Looking at posts through the internet has people asking about rifles with numbers much higher than mine: 244xxx, 5xxxxx, 66xxxx. No one can pin down a reasoning of the s/n. Several posts mention manufacturing in the early 70’s. Many are calling it a “Hawkins”? With a low s/n like mine, it could be an early edition.

Welcome from NORTH CAROLINA hope u enjoy

Welcome from Maine. The Miroku is from the 70's. Post in the percussion section of the forum for best results.
Nit Wit

Here’s a shot of the 3rd cleaning patch I ran through the Miroku (so I’m told). Running the brush through it produced a significant amount of powder.
Welcome from Maine. The Miroku is from the 70's. Post in the percussion section of the forum for best results.
Nit Wit
I’m ignorant of BP everything. Fired one 38 yrs ago. What is a “percussion” as opposed to flintlock?
I ran a rod & brush down the barrel and was shocked at what came out: powder. Don’t know it’s residue or corrosion. I did my best to clean it out and lubricant the barrel for storage. The photo is of the 3rd patch I ran through it. Kinda looks like an ARMY 105mm doesn’t it?

Attachments

• IMG_7584.jpeg
    IMG_7584.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Don't get ideas now, I do not want to buy your Japanese rifle. It looks, what I can see, interesting in a nice way. You'll need to keep us up-to-date on what is found in the barrel. There may be, , , potatoes in there. Well, ya never know, do ya? Steve

Don't get ideas now, I do not want to buy your Japanese rifle. It looks, what I can see, interesting in a nice way. You'll need to keep us up-to-date on what is found in the barrel. There may be, , , potatoes in there. Well, ya never know, do ya? Steve
Yeah. I wish I had a bore-scope to run the length of it. I found cookies jammed in the barrel of my dad’s 1917 Enfield 30-06 years ago. He blamed it on me!

Latest posts

Back