• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original factory box my ROA came in even says "Blackhawk" on it. Good engineering, pleasing appearance, and a great company = classic firearm.

Substituting black plastic, outsourced materials, unskilled labor, plywood stocks = junk. Decades later, junk remains junk. Naming a product "Hawken" does not make it a "Hawken". ROA's stand alone as classics, not a copy.

BPW,
that doe was 75-80 paces. I used one of these 220gr conicals. Hit her right above the rear sight, bullet came out the front of the right shoulder. drt.
36grs Goex 3f

Attachments

• IMG_20230308_225546.jpg
    IMG_20230308_225546.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Reckon I need to cast a bunch of those Lee .456 round noses. They're a perfect fit for mine. Would like a mold for a heavier slug though, one that wouldn't need to have the rear end sized to slip into the chambers.
Go to Accurate Molds website, go in the catalog. Look under 45 caliber, under the bullets you'll find notes on that particular mold that will tell you if it's for percussion revolvers. There's some beauties, with big honkin flat points. When you fill out the order form you can specify the base band diameters if you require a different size. The percussion revolver molds have rebated bases bands.
Hope that's some help to you.

I was hoping for some opinions in this post as to why the Ruger Old Army is so sought after and commands the high prices that they do. I acknowledge they are very well made and from a fantastic firearms manufacturer. They had a great reputation years ago that continues today. I personally have nothing against them at all. That being said, what is it that makes them so special? They are not anything that's historically accurate to any models made of that time period that I know of. The other question I have is why does Ruger not start making them again as they were an obvious success? I have never fired one before so this is coming from someone who wants an education on the matter.
In addition to other post in this thread, the Ruger Army is very sought after to obtain because the cylinder can handle heavier powder loads with no adverse effects to the cylinder or frame. I've shot 217 gr. Johnston and Dow conical bullets in my ROA with 30 gr. of Hodgdon 777 and had an averaged chronograph of 968 fps with a calculated 468 ft-lbs. of energy. I've read where some guys have loaded 40 gr. of 777 and a conical bullet in a ROA and came near magnum velocities. 40 grains of 777 is power that many forum members have often said that you do not load in any of the Italian BP revolvers.

Last edited:
I don't know that they are in fact currently "over priced" if you look at what new Ruger, S&W, or Colt revolvers cost. Everything is high, and nice condition Old Army revolvers should hold value as well as most anything. That said, I am glad I bought my two when I did. The first one I paid a bit much, 35 years ago, the other I got into 6-7 years ago at about the right price (then).

At least for me, the fun in shooting cap and ball guns is in trying to re-create what it was like in those days. Using a modern design ruins that.
I have an old 357 Blackhawk - works great and a vast improvement over the c&b stuff, but not as interesting to me.

I got mine last year. Bought it for ok. Deal. 850 shipped. Stainless steel with all the original stuff included box. I wanted one since the early 90's. Mine shoots better than my reproduction cap and ball. I use triple 7 fffg. I know it will fire when I squeeze the trigger. Shoots round ball. Shoots the Johnson and dowel the higher prices because of demand. They are no longer built.

I was hoping for some opinions in this post as to why the Ruger Old Army is so sought after and commands the high prices that they do. I acknowledge they are very well made and from a fantastic firearms manufacturer. They had a great reputation years ago that continues today. I personally have nothing against them at all. That being said, what is it that makes them so special? They are not anything that's historically accurate to any models made of that time period that I know of. The other question I have is why does Ruger not start making them again as they were an obvious success? I have never fired one before so this is coming from someone who wants an education on the matter.
The Ruger Old Army is "adapted" from the Blackhawk series revolvers. There is none of that transfer bar nonsense though. They command high prices because they are made to the standards of a modern firearm while still retaining the archaic "charm" of a percussion pistol. Ruger likely stopped making the Old Army as a result of a high degree of product liability (stupid people doing stupid things and blaming Ruger). The easy availability of conversion components to make the Old Army into a somewhat modern firearm without the "complication" of obtaining an FFL regulated product was also a contributing factor. Without a doubt, the strongest and most functional (out of the box) percussion revolver ever created. I own several (in addition to almost every Italian made historical copy of "whatever") and find the Rugers to be the most forgiving with regard to disregard of "loving treatment." As there is now a finite number of Ruger Old Armys that will ever exist, the pricing (and value) will only continue to escalate. Get 'em while you can, because when they actually reach "antique status" the pricing will be astronomical.

The Ruger Old Army is "adapted" from the Blackhawk series revolvers. There is none of that transfer bar nonsense though. They command high prices because they are made to the standards of a modern firearm while still retaining the archaic "charm" of a percussion pistol. Ruger likely stopped making the Old Army as a result of a high degree of product liability (stupid people doing stupid things and blaming Ruger). The easy availability of conversion components to make the Old Army into a somewhat modern firearm without the "complication" of obtaining an FFL regulated product was also a contributing factor. Without a doubt, the strongest and most functional (out of the box) percussion revolver ever created. I own several (in addition to almost every Italian made historical copy of "whatever") and find the Rugers to be the most forgiving with regard to disregard of "loving treatment." As there is now a finite number of Ruger Old Armys that will ever exist, the pricing (and value) will only continue to escalate. Get 'em while you can, because when they actually reach "antique status" the pricing will be astronomical.
That was very well written and explains a lot to me. I really appreciate yours and everyone's input in educating me about these Old Army pistols that I admittedly know very little about but am still curious to learn something.

My good friend Moses Bell had an ROA that he was fond of, and he had the conversion cylinder for it too. He said it was
"a good l'il six gun" but then he was 6 foot 5 and his paws were the size of a first baseman's mitt. On the ROA subject, I'm curious to hear if anybody has seen one of the NMLRA Ruger OA's lately? Those are pretty rare - there were only 100 of them to start with and that was back in the 70's - and I only know of one of them.

Well mine has been shooting since 1979. Never a single part has ever broken. Never had to tune it, file it, remove burrs or align a part. Even though I own a bunch ya can’t say the same about the Italian guns. 1000s upon 1000s of rounds shot out of my OA. It’s as good today as it was the day it was made. With the right load a ROA will shoot better than most or all cartridge guns.
that's it in a nutshell ... fit & finish are spot on ... no QU issue whatsoever, super durable and as accurate as any of my centerfire handguns.

I saw an article on the ROA back in the 70's in one of the black powder catalog/books and I was smitten. The first one I saw and put my hands on was a stainless steel version with ivory like grips. It was way out of my price range as I just had a kid and no spare money. In 2000 I purchased a used blue model for $250 and five years later I purchased a new in box stainless steel one for $375. In my opinion they are the BEST black powder revolvers ever made. ;)

Under NMLRA rules the ROA is a top choice in this category. Adjustable sights are permitted.

6103.4 – Percussion Revolver – Any multi-shot handgun employing a cylinder and percussion cap ignition system.

Tuning and tweaking an 1858 is work. Most shooters are not interested or not able to do the work themselves. Open top Colts are quaint but not a contender.

I bought a ROA in 1977 for $140. I shot it a lot but did not understand how to get the most out of it then. I regret selling it.

At least for me, the fun in shooting cap and ball guns is in trying to re-create what it was like in those days. Using a modern design ruins that.
I have an old 357 Blackhawk - works great and a vast improvement over the c&b stuff, but not as interesting to me.
I used to feel that way, then I handled one about 25 years ago and changed my mind. I think it’s neat that Bill Ruger would do something like that. He used modern technology to perfect the cap and ball revolver.

I have a stainless Adj. Site Model that is in near mint condition and I believe it’s a 2001 year make with the gray hard case and the Lee mold to go with it, it’s a really fine revolver to look at and fun as nails to shoot. The reason it was built off the black hawk frame was for pure beefyness and run like a swiss watch it is truly a tank and with the conversion cylinder it has no match in its class, a true jewel in its own right, and I am on the hunt for one that has never been shot and is as new. You either love them or you don’t. If they would have been around during the civil war and I was born in that time frame it would have been yea man look what the service gave me to use Ma..

I have a stainless Adj. Site Model that is in near mint condition and I believe it’s a 2001 year make with the gray hard case and the Lee mold to go with it, it’s a really fine revolver to look at and fun as nails to shoot. The reason it was built off the black hawk frame was for pure beefyness and run like a swiss watch it is truly a tank and with the conversion cylinder it has no match in its class, a true jewel in its own right, and I am on the hunt for one that has never been shot and is as new. You either love them or you don’t. If they would have been around during the civil war and I was born in that time frame it would have been yea man look what the service gave me to use Ma..
I have the Centennial Model in blue steel and have always wondered if the stainless models really are much more rust resistant than blued guns which are of Chrome Moly steel. Stainless guns by the way will rust but have more chrome in the alloy and are presumably at least theoretically more resistant to corrosion.
I have P.O. Ackleys book on barrel making and he made a career out of re-boring and re-rifling hundreds of shot out barrels of all types of barrel alloy and stated that there is practically no difference in the erosive resistance of stainless alloys and Chrome-molly. Now he is talking about erosion from heat and pressure but were talking corrosion and I'm wondering if there is a correlation between the two.

Last edited:
When wondering why Ruger Old Armies are so "expensive" inflation needs a closer look. I bought a blued ROA about 1973 or maybe 1974. I recall it was $125.00 (and no sales Tax!). In today's dollars that is about $850. Like a fool I sold it years later. Then bought a SS ROA but don't recall when or the price and then went and sold it (slow learner!). Photo on my personal info to the left is yours truly shooting it. In 2020 I bought another SS ROA for $900. It was new in box and made in 1986.

Celt, please don't lump them in with inlines! No thanks!
They were built to be the best percussion revolver available, not to replicate something or skirt some game laws. They do what they were intended to do, give the owner a lifetime of good service, and they do.
If you're after historical accuracy, they aren't for you. However, if you look at them as another variation on a common theme, then please, try one out, you just might find you enjoy them. They're a well made, useful firearm.
very well said Pete. I own a stainless. The pawl was bad and I sent it in to Ruger about 4 months ago. They replaced it and never charged me anything. Great company.

IMHO they DO resemble my 1858 orig Remington cap & ball. I bought one years ago even before I started pursuing black powder 'cause I collect Ruger wheel guns like my 38-40/10mm and my 357 maximums just had to have one. Glad I did, great shooting revolver.

Latest posts

Back