• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger old army loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a $20 dial caliper and measure the cast balls. Buy a set of pin gauges from McMastet-Carr sized from .452 to .457 and find out what your cylinder mouths measure. Something’s not right if a true .457 ball won’t leave a nice ring of lead shaving when seated. Just sayin.….
I'll get one soon as I can and find out those measurements

Pick up a 12mm arch punch on ebay for @$20 and punch 0.472" wads from cardboard and/or felt. I buy scraps of 1/8" thick felt from Durofelt, put them in a small container and pour some cheap olive oil on them. I load powder, then a 1/16" cardboard wad, followed by an oiled felt wad and finally the ball. Cylinder mouths seal nicely and the olive oil keeps fouling to a minimum. Works for me and experimentation is always fun!

I'm seeing a lot of people recommending a 20-30 grain load with fillers.

1. What should I use for filler?
2. If that load shoots best is is still powerful enough for deer and hog? I want to work up a load for kadio conical in the future for hunting
Cream of Wheat and corn meal are common fillers but there are others. I would only use a full charge for deer and I (personally) would keep the max range to about 25 yards. Hogs? No way I'm using that pistol for that animal. Others may disagree and I'm fine with that.

I used to mess with reduced loads and fillers 30+ years ago. I have for a long time now used a measured flask to load a nominal 35g Goex 3f, 0.457 swagged ball, and smeared with white bearing grease with CCI #11 caps. It is more accurate than I am. Even I can shoot a ragged one hole group at 10y, and I'm a lousy pistol shot, perhaps the worst in Texas.

Besides, I enjoy the recoil. And I really LOVE how the suppository-type shooters go quiet at my public range after the first shot or two wondering WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT? :ghostly::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm gonna swing by harbor freight and pick up those tools. I'll get y'all those measurements by tonight. I'll measure each chamber, the balls before tumbling, and after tumbling.

I used to mess with reduced loads and fillers 30+ years ago. I have for a long time now used a measured flask to load a nominal 35g Goex 3f, 0.457 swagged ball, and smeared with white bearing grease with CCI #11 caps. It is more accurate than I am. Even I can shoot a one hole group at 10y, and I'm a lousy pistol shot, perhaps the worst in Texas.
This is my load in all 44s . 35 grains 3f and some home made lube

Depends on how I'm shooting that day. Usually around 2 - 3 inches
That's about what I get with my colt 1860 and lemat. Lemat shoots about a 2 1/2 group at fifteen.

I use a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and beef tallow then throw in a little olive oil. Smear that over the mouth but I'm gonna give wads a shot. Would I just heat that up and soak them in it, then when they hardensl punch them out?

That's about what I get with my colt 1860 and lemat. Lemat shoots about a 2 1/2 group at fifteen.

I use a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and beef tallow then throw in a little olive oil. Smear that over the mouth but I'm gonna give wads a shot. Would I just heat that up and soak them in it, then when they hardensl punch them out?
Yes sir...
I've never been a wad guy but alot of people swear by them.
I have tried them just prefer my lube

I use plain old cheap olive oil and pour some in a jar of felt wads and shake them up. Add more oil until they are mostly all coated with oil. While target shooting, I dump a few out onto the lid and if they seem to wet I squeeze a drier looking wad between two wet wads to transfer some of the oil.
Side benefit - keeps your skin moist, but also gives me a craving for Italian food :ghostly:

I use plain old cheap olive oil and pour some in a jar of felt wads and shake them up. Add more oil until they are mostly all coated with oil. While target shooting, I dump a few out onto the lid and if they seem to wet I squeeze a drier looking wad between two wet wads to transfer some of the oil.
Side benefit - keeps your skin moist, but also gives me a craving for Italian food :ghostly:
What would your wad look like if you were keeping a hunting load?

Back