• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was hoping for some opinions in this post as to why the Ruger Old Army is so sought after and commands the high prices that they do. I acknowledge they are very well made and from a fantastic firearms manufacturer. They had a great reputation years ago that continues today. I personally have nothing against them at all. That being said, what is it that makes them so special? They are not anything that's historically accurate to any models made of that time period that I know of. The other question I have is why does Ruger not start making them again as they were an obvious success? I have never fired one before so this is coming from someone who wants an education on the matter.

Well basically, the ROA is a percussion version of a Blackhawk, and you're right, it's not a "copy" of anything . . . it's an original from Ruger. Why does it have to be a copy of something? ( rhetorical question)

Of the 5 I have, they all function perfectly and all are very accurate.

Mike

Because they're built three times better than any CnB POS coming out of Italy. But definitely not worth $1,000.00. A range of 650 used to 800 new seems like fair pricing.

And if Ruger made them again, they would cost 50% more than the old ones and the quality would be 50% less.

The very last thing I'd buy in this world is a currently produced, run of the mill, firearm.

Last edited:
Well basically, the ROA is a percussion version of a Blackhawk, and you're right, it's not a "copy" of anything . . . it's an original from Ruger. Why does it have to be a copy of something? ( rhetorical question)

Mike
Thanks for your input. I didn't realize they were a Blackhawk copy but that makes sense. I didn't think they really needed to be a copy or clone of any of the older firearms. I suppose in my mind it would make more sense to me but I have no knowledge of what the engineers were told to come up with. Just like those in-lines that I want nothing to do with but lot's of folks like them. If I came upon an Old Army that somebody was selling at a reasonable price (If that's even possible today) I'm sure I would seriously consider it.

Because they're built three times better than any CnB POS coming out of Italy. But definitely not worth $1,000.00. A range of 650 used to 800 new seems like fair pricing.

And if Ruger made them again, they would cost 50% more than the old ones and the quality would be 50% less.

The very last thing I'd buy in this world is a currently produced, run of the mill, firearm.
I feel much like you do then with newer production firearms and all of the quality control, pricing etc. issues. I'm glad I scratched most of those itches long ago. I have what I need and want so in that aspect I'm content. Admittedly there are still some models I would like to have but with the cost of life these days what I would like to have and have to have, one cancels out the other.

Celt, please don't lump them in with inlines! No thanks!
They were built to be the best percussion revolver available, not to replicate something or skirt some game laws. They do what they were intended to do, give the owner a lifetime of good service, and they do.
If you're after historical accuracy, they aren't for you. However, if you look at them as another variation on a common theme, then please, try one out, you just might find you enjoy them. They're a well made, useful firearm.

Attachments

• P82A0297_064327.JPG
    P82A0297_064327.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211227_174749.jpg
    IMG_20211227_174749.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Well mine has been shooting since 1979. Never a single part has ever broken. Never had to tune it, file it, remove burrs or align a part. Even though I own a bunch ya can’t say the same about the Italian guns. 1000s upon 1000s of rounds shot out of my OA. It’s as good today as it was the day it was made. With the right load a ROA will shoot better than most or all cartridge guns.

Celt, please don't lump them in with inlines! No thanks!
They were built to be the best percussion revolver available, not to replicate something or skirt some game laws. They do what they were intended to do, give the owner a lifetime of good service, and they do.
If you're after historical accuracy, they aren't for you. However, if you look at them as another variation on a common theme, then please, try one out, you just might find you enjoy them. They're a well made, useful firearm.
Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it and agree with what you wrote. Believe me in no way do I lump them in with those in-lines as they are not. I was trying to make a minor comparison but I think it came out wrong.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Reckon I need to cast a bunch of those Lee .456 round noses. They're a perfect fit for mine. Would like a mold for a heavier slug though, one that wouldn't need to have the rear end sized to slip into the chambers.

Why do they command a high price? Above what they sold for as new?
The simple answer is because they aren't made anymore. Anything labeled vintage, antique, rare and so on... whether it's a lamp or a gun, is more expensive now than when it was first sold.

I have seen aluminum pots that aren't even vintage sell for 3-4 times what they were sold for four years ago. Because they aren't made anymore. And people want them.

The Ruger Hawkeye single shot in 256 Win Mag did not sell well so was dropped from the Ruger catalog. They are rare on the used market and command outrageous prices. Same with ROA, not made anymore.

Mike
Yup, I completely agree and except for the loading rod linkage that folks forget to lock in place before levering in a ball they almost never break! Mine does better with the trigger job but that is about all I felt it needed.
Still my worked over Pietta 58 Target model will out shoot my ROA in my hands.

The Old Army costs what it does because it was oustanding when it was new, still is, and in more demand than ever by those who collect Ruger guns.

Yup, I completely agree and except for the loading rod linkage that folks forget to lock in place before levering in a ball they almost never break! Mine does better with the trigger job but that is about all I felt it needed.
Still my worked over Pietta 58 Target model will out shoot my ROA in my hands.

Yessir, all mine seem to be quite accurate but one of them really stands out. I'll have to take them all to a range one day (along with the others) and have a "showdown"!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back