• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifle shooting to left of target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Heap

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a traditions Kentucky kit rifle in .50 caliber. Went out to sight it in this morning, and it pulls to the left of center all the time. Am shooting from a bench rest on the front end. I moved the sight to the right, no difference. I have to be doing something wrong, just can't figure out what. Shot from 25 and 50 yards, same result using triple 7 2F powder and 65 grains. The longer I shot the worse it got so gave up for today. Would appreciate any help. :doh:

You probably are doing this but just to clarify are you moving the rear sight and not the front sight? It could be a bent barrel also.

Take a buddy that is a good shot. You shoot 5. he shoots five. Make sure its not you? Moving the rear site WILL change the POI, whether the barrel is bent or not and if its not moving POI there is another issue. Some days we all just shoot like manure? maybe this was your day??

am moving the rear sight only, and all my rifles are percussion. I suspect I'm flinching, but not sure. I hope I'm not just having a bad day, and heaven forbid the barrel is bent. Thanks guys. I don't have a friend I can take along yet.

Clean the gun VERY good. Next time out take a rest for the stock as well as the front and SQUEEZE that trigger slowly, let it be a surprise when it goes off. You now already know it don't kick bad so NO FLINCHING. Also a slightly dampened patch between each shot ran down the barrel and back (no pumping). I doubt the barrel is bent or you'd remember the "incident". They don't come that way often at all. Also make SURE that rear sight is tight and not moving at all.

And by the way, you should hope it was just you having a bad day! Thats the easiest fix :wink:

Assuming a 36" sight radius, 1/32" sight movement will change point of impact 3" at 100 yards, and only 1.5" at 50 yards. A shorter sight radius will show a proportional change, so 24" sight radius will move 3/2 of what a 36" will, and 18" sight radius will move twice as much.

Remember to move the front sight in the same direction you need to make correction (to the bullet hole) and rear sight in the opposite direction (away from the bullet hole) you need to make correction.
You can move both to better center the sights over the bore.

I know you mentioned shooting from a rest, but just under the front end of the rifle? Try shooting from a couple of sand bags. Balance the rifle on the bags so all you would have to do is aim and press the trigger. That would leave a lot less room for error on your part. Also hold at the same point of aim for each shot until you figure out what you might need to do with the sights. :hmm:

Start out at about twenty-five yards. Easier to see your holes and you don't have to get up as often to check the target, unless you have a spotting scope.

canyon said:
I suspect I'm flinching, but not sure.
:hmm: Not a flinch, it's called a "peek".
Your looking at the target after each shot to see where it hit.
Believe it or not, the preemptive thought of looking,, triggers your body's natural tendency to clear your field of view to see what your looking at.
In the case of rifle shooting that means the rifle is actually in the way of your vision so you (brain and body response) lift your head and the arms move the rifle to the side out of the way. It's natural for a right handed person to move the rifle to the left.
It all happens in that nano second of the trigger squeeze,,, because of the fore thought of looking (the peek).
It's common, and you can beat it.
When your ready to make the shot don't worry about where it hit,, the shot's gone and it is what it is. What you need to concentrate on is bringing the rifle and sights back to the target, the very same spot you where trying to hit, the bulls eye right?
We call it "follow through"
Sight the rifle on your mark, when ready squeeze the shot off, then immediately bring the rifle and sights back to the same place it was before the trigger squeeze.
You really need to think about bringing the rifle back to the target, that's what should be in your mind.
True "X" hunting accuracy is a head game, you gotta be in the zone.

necchi said:
canyon said:
I suspect I'm flinching, but not sure.
:hmm: Not a flinch, it's called a "peek".
Your looking at the target after each shot to see where it hit.
Believe it or not, the preemptive thought of looking,, triggers your body's natural tendency to clear your field of view to see what your looking at.
In the case of rifle shooting that means the rifle is actually in the way of your vision so you (brain and body response) lift your head and the arms move the rifle to the side out of the way. It's natural for a right handed person to move the rifle to the left.
It all happens in that nano second of the trigger squeeze,,, because of the fore thought of looking (the peek).
It's common, and you can beat it.
When your ready to make the shot don't worry about where it hit,, the shot's gone and it is what it is. What you need to concentrate on is bringing the rifle and sights back to the target, the very same spot you where trying to hit, the bulls eye right?
We call it "follow through"
Sight the rifle on your mark, when ready squeeze the shot off, then immediately bring the rifle and sights back to the same place it was before the trigger squeeze.
You really need to think about bringing the rifle back to the target, that's what should be in your mind.
True "X" hunting accuracy is a head game, you gotta be in the zone.
I had been shooting/hunting with black powder 38 years when I did this very thing. Cost me a nice fat 3 pt at 50 yds. Went back to camp and centered a chew can at 80 yds so it twern't the gun.

Necchi is right, it Happens and can happen again. Ya gotta "follow through", especially when yer excited!

Following up on what Necchi said, this is the "mantra" I teach new junior highpower rifle competitors:

Alignment- of the sights
Focus- on the front sight
Aim- using your choice of sight picture
Smooth(ly)- release the shot (not pull the trigger)
Follow- follow through the full recoil cycle

Do it as you fire each shot. Your groups will shrink.

Thanks for the help and advice, I'm going out maybe tomorrow and will try it and see if I can improve my shooting.I'm shooting a .50 cal, 490 round ball, have no idea about the rest you asked about, I'm new to all this.

azmntman said:
it Happens and can happen again. Ya gotta "follow through", especially when yer excited!
Yes, that darn peek is the one that get's me still when it's a make or break kind of pressure shot.
Ya know when you get to that point where you can call your shot's?
If I'm on the wire and get pushed, lose the zen and get stressed, I blow the shot not the rifle, and 90% of the time it's a peek!
It can still get me!!

I think you have it exactly backwards.

You move the REAR sight the direction you want the bullet to go.
Opposite rule for the FRONT sight.

No, if your hitting left of your target the rear sight is moved right to bring the impact (muzzle) back to the right.
The front sight would be moved left if hitting to the left of the target which moves the muzzle to the right or back on target given enough windage adjustment up front.
I have three screw adjustable vernier tang sights and one spirit level screw adjustable front sight on my target rifles. I make rear windage adjustments regularly when shooting midrange competition.
The front sight windage screw is used to make calm air zero before the match.

I have my bad days on the shooting range. I say that to include myself in the "shooter error" category. Although the sights can be off, the barrel bent, etc. etc. in most instances it is shooter error and if you adjusted the sights and at first all is well for a few shots and then the thing starts in again- shots off to one side. I would just about guarantee you are somehow pulling the shots. That advise about having someone else shoot the rifle- or maybe try shooting left handed- might help let you figure if it is the rifle or the shooter.
Some triggers are very thin and smooth. When the trigger is wide and flat you can sense if you are moving it straight back or exerting a slight side pressure. On the thin smooth triggers on some muzzle loaders this can be much harder to sense. For me- I have this problem more with handguns than rifles but it is the same issue to some extent.
Fouling in the bore might somehow cause side stringing. Maybe try swabbing between shots as a further test.

Back