• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rice RRB 62-125 Goex-fiber wad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Range report #2- 12 -23-09

25 degree- head wind 15 to 25 mph
low over-cast- 10 inches snow on ground

Started at 8 am-quit at Noon- due to the high head wind-could not keep my eyes from watering .To say my eyes are wind burnt is a under statement- and the second hand smoke from the rifle added to the watering.I wear shooting glasses.

All shots were from a T/C renegade-flint-with rice round radius barrel 1-66 twist-1" Oct. 32 " long.

Load- 125 gr. FFF-Goex
15-17- 24-27 thousands patches
1/2 inch veg. fiber wads-lube with bear grease
lube applied to wads by heating in microwave
.610 home cast round ball 330 gr.
patches cut at barrel
blown down barrel after each shot
NO SWABBING between shots

40 cotton duct-27 thousands- 62 cal 1/2 inch fiber wads .610 rb's
IMG_0336.jpg

50 yards-same load-3 inch target
IMG_0335.jpg

100 yards-same load 5 inch target-after this group I went down hill--just couldn't keep a good sight picture with the head wind and the drying of my eyes.
IMG_0342.jpg

.015 ticking-same load-burnt patches -caused fliers
IMG_0341.jpg

.017 ticking-same load-only patch found intact-torn and burnt patches -caused fliers
IMG_0337.jpg

.024 denim -same load- second best load- better than minute of deer.I was able to recover some of the fiber wads-skipping across the top of the snow- some made it to 45 yards.
IMG_0331.jpg

I shot many different combos-only showed what worked-very happy to find a load that works with 125 gr Goex. This barrel is a keeper!
P.M. Me for trial loads not shown.

Just so I understand your load sequence: powder, wad, patch, ball? :idunno: The group is great and and I wonder how much difference the wad makes. Have you tried the same load, ball, patch without the wad?

I use a wool felt wad under PRB in my .62 English sporter along with 120 grs of Goex 2 FG. I think 3 FG is too fast for what you are doing.

devildog66 said:
Just so I understand your load sequence: powder, wad, patch, ball? :idunno: The group is great and and I wonder how much difference the wad makes. Have you tried the same load, ball, patch without the wad?

That wad is taking all the fire so you can use a thinner patch if you want to. It took me a while to get an accurate load from my smoothbore and it wasn't until I went with a larger ball, thinner patch and a half of a fiber wad. I never thought about trying this combo in a rifled barrel but I guess it is worth trying.

Swampy said:
Wow how was that 125g load?? :shocked2:

Swampy..do you mean recoil wise?
Have you ever shot a 3 inch 12 ga. slug out of a Rem. 870 from the bench? It's about 65% of that recoil! That's how I would describe it. I weight 1/8th of a ton! 6 ft and very active . I move a lot. I have shot other firearms that were brutal..most just to lite for the load.narrow butt stock etc.
I punched out my own wads from some 10 ga. wads I had in my collection-made a hollow punch from 3/4 inch iron pipe..it happens to be .620 id...Next range session I will have store bought wads in 62 cal. some of my burnt patches were the result of my wad making..its hard to keep the punch square on such a small object that wants to move.

devildog66 said:

devildog-read my previous post..at 125 FFF-Goex I was shredding patches-using the same load with a OxYoke bore button and lubed patch..this range session was to find a load that would keep my patches intact- and accurate..anytime in the past when my patches are blown my accuracy fails. I notice when I go to loads above 110 gr. my pan burn takes on a brownish color due to the flame expelled..it just wipes off. I wipe the pan after every shot.

For this load the wad made all the difference - good accuracy. once I perfect this load I will chronograph it just for grins and see what it's moving at..curious as to the deviations between shots also.
I try for accuracy .with some speed.
I have shot deer with a 20 ga. slug gun. the .62 round ball will be as effective or better than that.
Yes my load is.. powder-wad patch.ball--KaaBoom!
Hope this helps..P.M. me if you have more ?

makeumsmoke said:
Swampy said:

Have you ever shot a 3 inch 12 ga. slug out of a Rem. 870 from the bench? It's about 65% of that recoil! That's how I would describe it. I weight 1/8th of a ton! 6 ft and very active . I move a lot. I have shot other firearms that were brutal..most just to lite for the load.narrow butt stock etc.
I punched out my own wads from some 10 ga. wads I had in my collection-made a hollow punch from 3/4 inch iron pipe..it happens to be .620 id...Next range session I will have store bought wads in 62 cal. some of my burnt patches were the result of my wad making..its hard to keep the punch square on such a small object that wants to move.

:haha: Never had reason for 3" .12 when 2 3/4 did the job I needed em for but I can imagine the recoil at 125. I figured I'd put 80 to 90 through mine which should be plenty and I'm sure it will weigh a lot less than yours too.

roundball said:
zrifleman said:
I think 3 FG is too fast for what you are doing.

Can you please elaborate?

ZMan--??????

Today after I found a combination I liked-I started using 2f-Graf's same load- it failed - more fowling in the bore erratic accuracy etc. It surprised me.. I thought it might improve this load. I have shot 3f in the past and it has worked in the past.
This has been my experience through trial and error.

I'm missing something here..What is your point.. Now don't be shy..I'm all ears!

Swampy said:
makeumsmoke said:
Swampy said:

:haha: Never had reason for 3" .12 when 2 3/4 did the job I needed em for but I can imagine the recoil at 125. I figured I'd put 80 to 90 through mine which should be plenty and I'm sure it will weigh a lot less than yours too.

Swampy- the Renegade weighs between 7.5 and 8.5 pounds-my guess-sorry no small scale at my house.
80 to 90 gr. should work for you..I often wonder how some of the 6 to 6.5 pound 62 cals would recoil! This barrel is still in the white.. I will add a hollow under rib and fill it with lead-add a solid heavy ram rod- and drill some holes under the butt plate and add some weight to it. That will tame it some. I have not shot this load standing.. all off the sand bags so far. I use a slip on Limbsaver pad. worth every penny!
This last fall one of my brothers was sighting in his Rem. 870 using those 3 inch slugs at the bench now that's recoil- he has a smooth bore barrel and unfortunately that is the only accurate slug out of that barrel..he was taking a pounding till I gave him one of my pads..they work!

"Load 125 gr. FFF-Goex
15-17- 24-27 thousands patches
1/2 inch veg. fiber wads-lube with bear grease"

WOW! :shocked2:
Exactly how many deer to you want to take out with one shot?
And how are you gonna get'm all lined up? :haha:

I hunt in Minnesota with all your abundant game!Ha.Ha.Knee slap!

Working up an elk load..This rifle shoots great with 100 gr load..I'm just trying to ring it out for when the time comes. I have faith that a 80 to 100 gr. load is more than enough for whitetails.
I like to burn powder and experiment. While at the range--No job..no wife..no worry's! Almost as good as a duck marsh!

125gr of 3F....YOWSA!!! Hey, but you can't argue with that 100 yard group!

Trench said:
125gr of 3F....YOWSA!!! Hey, but you can't argue with that 100 yard group!

I'm a 75 yard shooter- my eyes are 52 years old it's just comforting to know how this load shoots at 100 yards..when I experiment I learn..plus get to burn powder at the same time. I have only been shooting flints since this spring. I have felt that shooting flintlocks is more challenging . I think it makes you a better shot.Follow through is so critical. Black powder and flintlocks are just Fun!

When working up big bear loads for my .62 Jager I worked up to 140 FF with wheel weight prb.

From the bench, it would clear you sinuses right up.

125gr of FF seemed to work the best - wads were a must.

50 yd deer load - 85 FFF

A good buddy uses 60 gr of FF in his .62 Trade rifle and kills every deer he hits.

It does not take a bunch of juice for the .62 to do its thing.

cptleo- how much does a wheel-weight 62 cal rb weigh? which wads were you using in your loads 88gr to 140gr ?I would think that 140 gr would get your attention!

How big are the deer weight wise that your buddy is shooting with 60 gr load?

How heavy was the gun you shot 140 gr from?

Thanks for sharing...Dan

makeumsmoke said:
"...add a solid heavy ram rod..."

That's what I used on my 32" GM .58 & .62cal barrels...solid one piece 3/8" brass ramrods from October Country.

Not only does the extra weight out front reduce recoil & recoil arc, it also reduces muzzle wander for improved accuracy, and eliminates any worry what-so-ever of an end pulling off because there aren't any...

I have been debating brass or lead filled hollow brass rod..I wish the "Period correct" rods weighed more I like the looks of those. The 32 inch Rice barrel is much liter than my 27 inch 54 T/C barrel. If I go with brass I would dull or oxidize the exterior. This rifle will get browned or bleached to knock the sheen down .
I can really appreciate the look of a shinny rifle-and some of the builds I have seen in the short time I have spent here are Outstanding..The high gloss brings the figure in the wood out so clear! but it's just not in me.give me dull walnut-steel trim no carving no engraving-prefer pc/hc in the no gloss form.

Latest posts

Back