• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rice RRB 62-125 Goex-fiber wad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BPCR---Black powder cartridge rifle. GG--Grease groove bullets. PP--Paper patch. My experience is percussion and flint ML---Rifles, pistols, slug gun, BP shotgun. Din't say I prefer 2 FG---Mostly I use Goex Cartridge (a screened 2 FG) I tried Pyrodex, Triple Seven, Swiss BP, Elephant, Goex 3 FG to 4 FA for the correct application.

Zip experience directly with 3F and flinters; however, 3F in my .50 percussion at 80 grns is the cat's pajamas.

The Goex/Swiss distributor in Virginia recommended it for my .58 flinter and simply said that I'd see more consistency and accuracy. This guy has a great deal BP experience with a wider range of applications. He shoots everything from muzzleloaders, competition cartridge civil war carbines, and two sizes of civil war mortars. I took him at his word as he had plenty of both granulation sizes to sell me. :thumbsup:

Yes...and when I ran side x side chronograph tests between 2F and 3F, the 3F charges averaged over 100 fps higher velocity than 2F.

Another 3F benefit that a lot of guys here post about is that they can also prime from the same horn of 3F...

I have never used 3f in my fowler but when my barrel gets back from Coyote Joe I plan on working up a load useing 3f. Seems like having one powder for shooting and primeing would simplfy things quite a bit. :thumbsup: In the past I have always primed with 4f.

Wayne/Al

If I can get 3fff to work in my muzzle loaders I always use it. 10 ga to .29 cal. Less fouling is enough reason for me. I have only had one gun I couldn't get to shoot with 3fff.

I tried 80 grains 3F GOEX in my .54 Hawken style gun, but it would develop holes in my patch.
(I am shooting .530 ball with .19 pillow ticking lubed in 6:1 Balistol.)
I switched to 2F GOEX and the patches are not blown.
I would like to use the 3F for the reasons mentioned above though.
Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance
BillK

And if you still get burn-through, Oxyoke makes for that purpose what they call "wonder-wads" which are caliber size wool over powder wads lubricated with Wonderlube 1000, to act as a firewall.
Note...just seating a spare lubed patch down on the powder before seating the PRB will also act as a firewall.

To Mike's point, I use 90grns Goex 3F in a .54cal smoothbore and don't get burn through just using patches prelubed with Natural Lube 1000 (bore butter) no wads or spare patches...the liberal amount of a greasy lube does fine.

"I have only had one gun I couldn't get to shoot with 3fff."

Mike-Now That's Funny!!...I have the same problem.

Try changing the recipe on your patch lube to either 5:1, or 4:1, so that you have more Ballistol in the patch than presently, using the 6:1 formula. Burning patches often indicate your patch is not sufficiently lubed. The other source of burned patches is being too thin- like using a .010 Patch in that .54 cal gun. That is Not the case you are reporting, however.

If you don't want to change your mix of Ballistol and water, then by all means, try the wool felt wads to serve as a fire wall to protect the patches. OR, you can use a Vegetable Fiber Wad( 1/8" thick), or a cheaper "filler" like corn meal. The pre-lubed felt wads being sold are the most expensive of these three choices. Corn meal is the least.

You can also make your own felt wood wads if you buy a wad punch( Dixie GW, Harbor Freight) and pick up some old felt hats at the local Good Will, or Salvation Army thrift stores. The money you spend locally will go to good use. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back