• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

revolver out of time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug60

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a.36 remington at a gun show and shows a lot of abuse.The timing is off so i replaced the hand and spring which corrected it at first,but after the second fired cylinder it starts to get off again.I then replaced the hand screw which was in bad shape(head all chewed up)which cleared up the problem again untill that second cylinder.Im looking at maybe a new cylinder as the back side of this one also shows wear where the hand engages to rotate the cylinder.Looking for any suggestion.Pietta/Navy Arms revolver.

Depending on what you paid for the revolver, have you considered getting a new revolver? It might be more cost effective. :hmm:

Have you checked the cam on the hammer and the tail of the bolt that rides over that cam? Pietta changed the width of the locking notches in the cylinder and you probably have one of the old ones. The notches and the bolt are both wider in the later ones. Also a new cylinder with shipping is half the price of a used Pietta.

If you are getting drag lines ("ring around the collar") your bolt is popping back up prior to the cylinder locking into battery. The easiest thing to try is to (ever so slightly) spread the two spring "legs" on the bolt apart...especially the one the is actuated by the hammer cam. While in there, check the hammer cam for wear. Id opening up the spring legs doesn't help, you may have to re-shape the cam side leg. Try backing the trigger spring screw off a half-turn and see if it helps also. Also, the bolt should enter the cylinder slots completely and bottom. If not, you may have to take a bit off the bolt head

Can you get a couple photos of the rear of the cylinder and the hand out of the gun?
I have worked over several of these over the years and without seeing what these parts look like it's hard to say what the problem is.
question can you push the cylinder back from the barrel? it may be a case of stretch if it is a brass framed pistol... that can be remedied too.... need more info though.....

Thank you for the reply.Ipaid 150 for it.I have 4 remmies in .44 cal and always wanted a .36. Ill keep monkeing with this one .

Thanks to all who replied. Made in1985.The hammer cam shows alot of wear.I tried spreading the arms on the cylinder stop and now it works 99percent of the time.If you cock it fast it works but if you do it slower itjust about makes it. I have to rotate the cylinder about a sixteenth of an inch to lock in battery.

Back