• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Curse the Flat Bolt/Trigger Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have had another bolt spring break on my Pietta 1851 Navy .36 today. Wasn't shooting, just showing it off when suddenly the action went to hell. I have replaced the spring and have more on order. However, I once bought a Heinie wire spring to see if it would work better. I found that the trigger arm wouldn't reach the trigger and that it was narrow and would slide into the trigger and bolt well. I got it to work until the next time I decided to take the gun down for a thorough cleaning. I tired of fiddling with it and went back to a flat spring.

What I want is a spring that is more reliable than the flat spring but easier to install than the Heinie spring. I tried the search function but could find no references to other manufacturers for a wire spring. I did see an old post where Zonie, may he rest in peace, recommended heat treating one of the flat springs buy heating it to a blue color and oil quenching it. Anybody have any thoughts on that? What I did not find was another manufacturer for a wire spring.

In summary (a hold over from my corporate days) :

1. Anyone else make a wire spring for colt reproduction's?
2. Is Zonie's recommendation a good one?

Flat springs can be poorly made and easy to improve. A new one should be inspected for the edges having a rough finish. With a small file smooth these edges so no marks are exposed. It doesn’t take much to remove them. Then polish it with 400 grit paper so it is bare metal. Place it on a flat piece of metal to heat from below till it evenly turns blue. Drop it in oil or water to stop process, this is tempering and relieves stress without making it weak.

Back