• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ASM year???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLFunk

32 Cal
Reaction score
A client of mine brought me a revolver which was had a great patina (NOT rust) and the grips…. Well it looks like Spot must’ve chewed on it a bit. It’s been sitting for years with minimal rust and very clean. Nipples and screws cam out easier than my 1851 Pietta.
I just don’t know what I have or how to figure out the year of production. S/N is in 65K area. ASM stamp under barrel alongside “black powder only -made in Italy”
1851 engraved cylinder with an 1860 barrel. The frame is brass with a CVA stamp on the right side. No markings anywhere to find a year. Broken post spring and one screw missing. But easily replaced. Minimal turn line
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1077.jpeg
    IMG_1077.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
A client of mine brought me a revolver which was had a great patina (NOT rust) and the grips…. Well it looks like Spot must’ve chewed on it a bit. It’s been sitting for years with minimal rust and very clean. Nipples and screws cam out easier than my 1851 Pietta.
I just don’t know what I have or how to figure out the year of production. S/N is in 65K area. ASM stamp under barrel alongside “black powder only -made in Italy”
1851 engraved cylinder with an 1860 barrel. The frame is brass with a CVA stamp on the right side. No markings anywhere to find a year. Broken post spring and one screw missing. But easily replaced. Minimal turn line
Any help would be greatly appreciated
I now have it. No money in it so either way it’s not a loss

CVA should be 1970s. The date code is usually inside a rectangular box on the right side of the frame along with the proof marks which are missing too. Given the rough finish of the frame I suspect your revolver was built from a kit which would explain it. Don't let any of that spoil your enjoyment of the gun.

CVA should be 1970s. The date code is usually inside a rectangular box on the right side of the frame along with the proof marks which are missing too. Given the rough finish of the frame I suspect your revolver was built from a kit which would explain it. Don't let any of that spoil your enjoyment of the gun.
Still no luck finding a date box anywhere. Got it cleaned up, replaced what parts were needed and it’s ready to shoot. Gonna take her out Wednesday and she how it performs

Still no luck finding a date box anywhere. Got it cleaned up, replaced what parts were needed and it’s ready to shoot. Gonna take her out Wednesday and she how it performs
Date boxes with letters in them didn't start until 1975. 1974 and earlier were Roman numerals. I have seen CVA pistols that had no date code. Most were kit revolvers. Your pistol may not have a date code for one reason or another. By the looks of the brass on the frame it is either a kit gun or someone intentionally marred the brass to make it look old and removed the markings in the process.

Last edited:
Back