• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1860 hand replacement (broken spring)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorsideburns

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I purchased a replacement hand and spring unit for the spring which broke on my 1860 replica but now realize the hand requires some fitting as the entire cylinder binds up and hammer won't even go to full cock with it installed. Does anyone offer a service to just re-spring the broken unit which already is fitted to my revolver?

It sounds like the hand is too long. I will let the experts chime in with better advice but It may just take a little filing and fitting to get tit to work. Have you deburred the new hand? It might be a burr jamming the works. A little 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper will remove an burrs.

I purchased a replacement hand and spring unit for the spring which broke on my 1860 replica but now realize the hand requires some fitting as the entire cylinder binds up and hammer won't even go to full cock with it installed. Does anyone offer a service to just re-spring the broken unit which already is fitted to my revolver?
You might be able to fit a spring and plunger in the hand body in lieu of the standard leaf set up but I have not made this mod personally.If it were mine I would just remove the stub and make a new leaf spring out of Luftkin tape drive spring of stainless steel.
New hands come long so they can be fitted correctly. The new long hand is pushing on the ratchet tooth before the bolt is clearing the notch thus the jamb up. This is a good time to check the hammer cam and make sure it is not in need of replacement or trim up. Most folks don't grease the cams and if they are not properly hard then the bolt finger will chew them off rather quickly. Oil alone is not sufficient for lubing hammer cam or bolt finger as one or the other will wear prematurely if not properly hardened and kept greased. This is the reason dish washer cleaning and a spray down with airesol lube is bad practice.

Last edited:
I've replaced a few Uberti handsprings by simply driving out the broken spring with a small screwdriver and hammer. By carefully driving out the spring the slot isn't damaged. After a replacement flat spring is tapped into place I lightly stake the metal around the spring. Only once did I run into trouble when the metal around the spring was thin and broke off at my attempts to stake the new spring in place.

Fitting a new hand properly takes me to a whole nother level of patience.. I've had success with a women's bobby pin for repairing a broken handspring too... it's sure worth the effort to try it first with your original hand.

I've done the bobby pin trick several times with 100% success. The trick is, once you have it installed, instead of trying to re-crimp the hand slot, simply secure it with a drop of fluxed plumber's or silver solder, then file the solder to suit the profile. And if your bobby pin ever breaks (mine haven't even after 20 years) all you have to do is melt the solder to remove and replace your bobby pin.

I've done the bobby pin trick several times with 100% success. The trick is, once you have it installed, instead of trying to re-crimp the hand slot, simply secure it with a drop of fluxed plumber's or silver solder, then file the solder to suit the profile. And if your bobby pin ever breaks (mine haven't even after 20 years) all you have to do is melt the solder to remove and replace your bobby pin.
close to what I did. but stole a springy hairclip from wife and made one that is wider.
20230828_194640.jpg

camo

Fitting a new hand properly takes me to a whole nother level of patience.. I've had success with a women's bobby pin for repairing a broken handspring too... it's sure worth the effort to try it first with your original hand.
That bobby pin trick was in a magazine article years ago. The author of the article said that he had good luck with the fix. It's worth a try.

Back