• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reusable caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will again repeat my warning about using matches, toy caps etc as primers..

They all contain potassium chlorate, the residues from which is what eats your barrels if you do not clean them quickly and with a water based detergent cleaner!

Can I also point out that crushing or milling many of the products involved is never carried out manually in industry, for some very good reasons! Primer plants, even commercial ones, blow up at regular intervals and are designed with this "feature" in mind..!

...you have been warned!
Yeah, don't do this! Same goes for those folks who mix ALL of a 22Reloader kit at once. Don't do it. Use some common sense. I use the 22Reloader kits myself. I only mix the amount prescribed and only crush up L2 when it's by itself, NEVER after it's mixed with the other 3 ingredients. EVER. Crushing strike anywhere matches and mixing them with something else seems sketchy at best.

Don't understand your question sorry. Being sarcastic or an honest question.
Sorry for the slow reply..

I was disagreeing with you. I don't think using toy caps and ground down match heads for priming firearms "will be ok". Primary explosives are unpredictable and liable to do the unexpected, Hence my enquiry about your level of tolerance for dangerous practices and how often things go wrong for you..

Does this clarify my position?

What you do in your own life is your business, but I will not stand back and accept dangerous advice to being put about on this forum unchallenged. Even in times of shortages, it is highly questionable whether using substitute primers makes any sort of sense.. possibly in some post apocalyptic scenario this may be worth the risk, but we are not there (yet)!

Latest posts

Back