• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Western Arms Corp. 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenniconway

32 Cal
Reaction score
Gentleman, I have been pondering for a while now about getting my first cap and ball revolver. I’ve been spending lots of time reading posts here on this forum, learning about the different models, calibers, brands, histories, and the like, with hopes of purchasing one for my present this Christmas. I was leaning towards a Uberti 1851 Navy.

Well, those plans just went out the window when a coworker friend of mine told me about a cap and ball revolver in the display case at a local pawn shop. It had a sticker price of $179.00 marked down from $249.00. I went right away to the shop and there it was, so I ask if I could check it out.

Turns out it was an 1860 Army in what I would describe as in excellent like new condition. It appears to have been fired, but very little, if not just once!
No scratches anywhere, bluing was deep and shiny, case coloring is nice, and walnut stocks are perfect. Timing seemed good. What rifling I could see looked crisp.

It’s got A.UBERTI stamped on the frame left side on the brass frame. And, under the loading handle, bottom of the barrel, "BLACK POWDER ONLY" Cal. 44 and what looks like a laid down “L” shape, then the serial number 104106.

The odd thing is it has “Western Arms Corp. Santa Fe NM” stamped in small print on top of the barrel?

I offered the pawn shop guy a $100 bucks and he quickly countered with $130.00. I said what the hell, ring it up.

So, gentlemen, any insights on what I have purchased and was it a really good deal?

I’m feeling really good about it and excited to get it ready to shoot, except now I have to try to source some #10 caps, 3F powder and .454 projectiles, dang it!

Great score!!

It's a Uberti, treat it as such, but it's more that just a Uberti, as per this website:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...olver-by-uberti--unfired.cfm?gun_id=100785879... which says:
These Western Arms were not your run of the mill replicas as they had superior fit and finish compared all other importers at that time...
... so that's got to be one of the great all-time pawnshop scores. Well done!! :thumb:

(kind of points out what you can find in pawnshops from time to time if you just keep your eyes open.)

Gentleman, I have been pondering for a while now about getting my first cap and ball revolver. I’ve been spending lots of time reading posts here on this forum, learning about the different models, calibers, brands, histories, and the like, with hopes of purchasing one for my present this Christmas. I was leaning towards a Uberti 1851 Navy.

Well, those plans just went out the window when a coworker friend of mine told me about a cap and ball revolver in the display case at a local pawn shop. It had a sticker price of $179.00 marked down from $249.00. I went right away to the shop and there it was, so I ask if I could check it out.

Turns out it was an 1860 Army in what I would describe as in excellent like new condition. It appears to have been fired, but very little, if not just once!
No scratches anywhere, bluing was deep and shiny, case coloring is nice, and walnut stocks are perfect. Timing seemed good. What rifling I could see looked crisp.

It’s got A.UBERTI stamped on the frame left side on the brass frame. And, under the loading handle, bottom of the barrel, "BLACK POWDER ONLY" Cal. 44 and what looks like a laid down “L” shape, then the serial number 104106.

The odd thing is it has “Western Arms Corp. Santa Fe NM” stamped in small print on top of the barrel?

I offered the pawn shop guy a $100 bucks and he quickly countered with $130.00. I said what the hell, ring it up.

So, gentlemen, any insights on what I have purchased and was it a really good deal?

I’m feeling really good about it and excited to get it ready to shoot, except now I have to try to source some #10 caps, 3F powder and .454 projectiles, dang it!
And… this thread is worthless without pictures! 😎

Yes, it sounds like you got a great buy. But it took me most all my life to clearly understand that when I scored a great buy some body took a great loss. Good luck with your new to you 1860.

I see your point, Rich. There have been times buyers have given me more than I asked for and it felt pretty good. And when I've had plenty of money I didn't dicker to get the best price if it was already fair.

On the other hand - there are times when you're just at the right place at the right time. Perhaps at that time no one's interested in the item, the seller doesn't know where the market is to present it, no one can afford it despite the good deal, or perhaps the seller badly needs the cash and reduced the price for a quick sale. It's also true that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and has the money to prove it.

Great score!!

It's a Uberti, treat it as such, but it's more that just a Uberti, as per this website:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...olver-by-uberti--unfired.cfm?gun_id=100785879... which says:

... so that's got to be one of the great all-time pawnshop scores. Well done!! :thumb:

(kind of points out what you can find in pawnshops from time to time if you just keep your eyes open.)
I checked out the site you mentioned and saw the prices and almost fainted! They were trying to squeeze every penny they could out of their pistols. I will buy brand new ,it is cheaper than dealing with them and they also lead people to think the pistol are special? These are copies and not even worth the new price .There is an old saying that says,""A fool and his money are soon parted"" . All I can say if you have to have it go for it . I won't! I had rather have a new pistol.
I forgot to mention The pawn shop had a fair price in my eyes.

A little perspective here - a junker can go for a hundred bucks. Someone recently sold the frame for $75. I bought a ten year old Pietta 1860 44 that needed a lot of help but looked ok for $100. So getting a nicely done Uberti for $130 is a helluva deal.

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Great score!!

Thank you, that is interesting information!
It definitely makes my purchase even better knowing it’s not the “run of the mill” model!

You hit the jackpot, just sayin'

Thank you, that is interesting information!
It definitely makes my purchase even better knowing it’s not the “run of the mill” model!
You got a good deal on that pistol. Less than half price. Your pistol is a steel frame pistol not brass frame and has a brass trigger guard. I have a steel frame Western Arms 1851 but It does not appear any better than other Uberti 1851's. The guy in that Guns International add was blowing a little smoke. You don't see many Western Arms revolvers for sale so they are more sought after by some collectors. It is more the scarcity of the piece than any noticeable quality difference that adds some to the value.

Latest posts

Back