• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restore A Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The following pictures are of the John Manton pistol I conserved. Everything is reproduction except for the pistol.
DSCN0406[1].JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0407[1].JPG
    DSCN0407[1].JPG
    154 KB · Views: 130
This is the Joseph Manton set I used as a guide. The pan brush is a reproduction. As far as I know everything else is original.

Attachments

• DSCN0393[1].JPG
    DSCN0393[1].JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN0397[1].JPG
    DSCN0397[1].JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0389[1].JPG
    DSCN0389[1].JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0392[1].JPG
    DSCN0392[1].JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN0399[1].JPG
    DSCN0399[1].JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0401[1].JPG
    DSCN0401[1].JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 97
Can anyone identify these items for me?
I'll start.

From the left
Stainless steel working rod for loading and cleaning.
Drop tube to deliver the powder directly to the breech without touching the barrel.
Volumetric powder measure with cut off funnel.
??? Could be a short starter but the shaft seems very small in diameter.

By the way, your box and the accessories look very nice.

I am impressed with the screw slots. It is really easy to twist a screw driver and mangle the screw.

To lay hands on a museum quality gun is more balls than I got.

The plexiglass rack has got to go. Would rather see if laid out in a white tablecloth.

The pictures were very important but if the photo file size was larger so I could zoom in that would be better.

Are you sure the screw slots orientation would have been any direction of the compass. I've worked on yachts that had the head of every screw lined up fore and aft. I kind of think if it had a platinum lined touch hole the screw slots would be extremely important.

I expect the experience of doing work on a pistol like this one is an accomplishment.

Congratulations on your work Tumbler.

I'll start.

From the left
Drop tube to deliver the powder directly to the breech without touching the barrel.

Thanks!

I am impressed with the screw slots. It is really easy to twist a screw driver and mangle the screw.

The plexiglass rack has got to go. Would rather see if laid out in a white tablecloth.

The pictures were very important but if the photo file size was larger so I could zoom in that would be better.

Are you sure the screw slots orientation would have been any direction of the compass. I've worked on yachts that had the head of every screw lined up fore and aft. I kind of think if it had a platinum lined touch hole the screw slots would be extremely important.

I expect the experience of doing work on a pistol like this one is an accomplishment.

Thanks! Sorry for the plexi and file size. It would make sense that with all the craftsmanship that was done the screws would have an orientation as you suggest. Both the John and Joseph Manton pistols have no respect for direction. That is not to say that other Manton pistols do have a proper screw orientation.

I would load it and shoot it.

What kind of rust prevention will you use? Are you familiar with Fluid Film?

What do you use on the wood?

You warmed the screws to get them to finally let go, did you consider inductive heating?

I saw damage in reviewing photos, has anyone else?

Are you going to apply your skills to another project?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Tumbler,
The black object is a handle that once held a turnscrew. The vent pick would slip over the blade and stick in a hole in the handle. Here is a photo of a modern example. Often the turnscrew blades were made from broken mainsprings as this one is.
FmD0xTf.jpg

trfLELy.jpg

dave

I agree with Grenadier's identification of these tools (post #144), and can only add that the white gadget on the loading/cleaning rod on the left is a muzzle protector. It helps keep the rod centered in the bore to reduce wear on the metal.

I was baffled by the item on the right, but dave_person provided the answer. I've never seen anything like that. A very clever way to keep a vent pick available and out of trouble!

Notchy Bob

I'll start.

From the left

Thanks for your help.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Tumbler,
The black object is a handle that once held a turnscrew. The vent pick would slip over the blade and stick in a hole in the handle. Here is a photo of a modern example. Often the turnscrew blades were made from broken mainsprings as this one is.
FmD0xTf.jpg

trfLELy.jpg

dave
Thanks Dave.

Latest posts

Back