• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restore A Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thrilled to learn about casting metal from the box hook work. I am going to get some of the necessary materials and give a try at it.

I also am going to order some Ballistol oil.

The Fluid Film I use is also food safe.

And since cars were mentioned... I was into antique cars for a while and read every book I could. One book with a title like Motorman's guide to repair from like 1909 said iodine could be used to remove stuck valves in an overheated motor. The same iodine I used to paint cuts with. I had an old motor (1935 Plymouth 6 cylinder) with stuck valves, couldn't pound the ones out that were open with a sledge hammer on an oak block. Poured iodine around each valve and the next morning the valves came out like they had never been stuck. My father was absolutely shocked.
Iodine? Wow that's good to know.

On one side the end of the stock that supports the barrel is the correct black (horn?) tip. The other side is brown. What I suspect is that when the barrel was browned this end section was browned as well. I do not want to remove the brown on this end if I am going to remove (ruin) the finish of the of the underlying black tip. Does the black tip even have a finish or is it polished? I don't know. I have pictures of one side with the tip with the black stock and other with tip of the brown stock. Any thoughts how to removed the brown from the tip of the stock?

Attachments

• DSCN0462[1].JPG
    DSCN0462[1].JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN0463[1].JPG
    DSCN0463[1].JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN0464[1].JPG
    DSCN0464[1].JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN0469[1].JPG
    DSCN0469[1].JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 106
No answer to your question. I looked carefully at pictures 463 and 469 and I see lighter shade on wood and brass in 469 and darker shade on wood and brass in 463.

Is that shading I am seeing what you are asking about?

Are you wanting to equalize the look on the wood, the brass, or both?

You suggest the Browning process may have caused this, speculation?

The shading is quite distinguishable, does it only exist at the one location?

Could it be caused by light it has been exposed to while on display?

It is very interesting

No answer to your question. I looked carefully at pictures 463 and 469 and I see lighter shade on wood and brass in 469 and darker shade on wood and brass in 463.

Is that shading I am seeing what you are asking about?

Are you wanting to equalize the look on the wood, the brass, or both?

You suggest the Browning process may have caused this, speculation?

The shading is quite distinguishable, does it only exist at the one location?

Could it be caused by light it has been exposed to while on display?

It is very interesting

All good questions. I wish I could show you the pistol. Both sides of the pistol are identical in terms of shading. It is just the very tip that is separated by a vertical line from the stock is a dull brown on one side and black on the other side. This end piece is well delineated by this verticel line. The vertical line makes me think that this is of a different material. As I have other Mantons I know that the very end of the stock supporting the barrel is black and appears separate from the walnut stock. They also have this vertical line making me consider this small end piece is joined to the rest of the stock rather than a part of the stock. It could be cosmetic such as a black horned tipped ram rod.

I learned about Ballistol oil made across the pond and it is used to remove residue from black powder weapons. It is supposed to be good for metal and wood. I bought some and May use it tomorrow to remove a stuck cleaning thing in my rifle barrel.

Building a correct period box, excellent posts.

Has me interested in a pistol now.

Weeks to remove a screw that came out without being wrecked.

Enjoyed the comments from others.

If I understand your question correctly and am seeing clearly, it looks like a natural variation in the color of the horn stock tip.
I would polish it gently (try the microcrystaline Rennaisance Wax), and enjoy the natural beauty.
It looks to be a fine pistol. Let it show it's age proudly. For a consistent, shiny finish, buy a repro. (No criticism intended.)

If I understand your question correctly and am seeing clearly, it looks like a natural variation in the color of the horn stock tip.
I would polish it gently (try the microcrystaline Rennaisance Wax), and enjoy the natural beauty.
It looks to be a fine pistol. Let it show it's age proudly. For a consistent, shiny finish, buy a repro. (No criticism intended.)
None taken.

Back