• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replaced sites.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoper05

Pilgrim
Reaction score
So I replaced the sites on my TVM Flintlock to smaller lower sights than what came on it. My problem is is that it's a swamped Barrel so the breech end of the barrel is slightly larger in diameter than the muzzle of the barrel. But the front and rear sights are the same height. Does that mean I'm probably going to have to file down the rear sight and has anybody ever really had to file down the rear sight instead of the front sight?

Often a new rifle will have tall front sights. While the tall sights will cause the rifle to shoot low out of the box, this is good since it is easier to file the sights lower than to raise them.

Are your new sights the same height as the old sights? If they are, then proceed with normal sighting in.

To answer your question of what sight, front or rear, you need to get an accurate group and decide where to take your file.

A lot of rear sights come without a notch cut in them..
I’m looking at replacing the front sight on my rifle with something I can see better in the woods...

If both your new sights are lower , you may just have to fire the gun in order too find out the answer too your question.

And yes I have filed my rear sight ...it came without a pre cut notch.

Last edited:
I wouldn't file anything until I had shot it several times (over time) and had established both a repeatable group and sight picture. You don't want to end up chasing it. If the rear sight has no notch then you need to file a notch that you are comfortable with first.

For me it's important to have the sight picture you want first before you adjust the zero. Usually the whole purpose behind changing sights is to change your sight picture. I adjust elevation with the front sight.
Sight picture is one of the biggest reasons/factors why I will prefer one of my guns over another.
IMO, sight picture can make the difference between a hit and a miss.

Just my thoughts on the subject, hope it makes sense.

Yes I certainly will shoot the gun and get a idea of its grouping first. I just know that most people talk about filing the front sight but you never really hear much about anybody filing the rear sight.

Often a new rifle will have tall front sights. While the tall sights will cause the rifle to shoot low out of the box, this is good since it is easier to file the sights lower than to raise them.

Are your new sights the same height as the old sights? If they are, then proceed with normal sighting in.

To answer your question of what sight, front or rear, you need to get an accurate group and decide where to take your file.
No the front sight is the same height as the rear sight. The old sites where the ridiculously high sites that they put on modern guns for some reason.

I just know that most people talk about filing the front sight but you never really hear much about anybody filing the rear sight.

Typically you don't file down a rear sight. Of course it depends on the style of sight. You could deepen or widen the notch but not "file the sight down"
I am strongly averse to messing with the rear notch especially with a file, same goes for the rear sight as a whole. Since the rear sight is closest to your eye, you'll be able to easily pick up any inaccuracies from filing. for me this destroys my sight picture . It's a rabbit hole I don't like to go down.
If a rear sight rally needed to be re-profiled, I'd use a mill. or just buy a new one.
Steel rear sights file hard compared to brass front sights.
Just me and my opinion.

Since the smoothbore I own came with both front and rear sights the rear had to be filed. The little turtle front sight on the gun was best not even touched. The gun shot quite low and that was not acceptable. I found a good load or two then went to work on the rear blade. A fair amount of filing and notch deepening worked perfectly. Both sights are low and look good.

Since the smoothbore I own came with both front and rear sights the rear had to be filed. The little turtle front sight on the gun was best not even touched. The gun shot quite low and that was not acceptable. I found a good load or two then went to work on the rear blade. A fair amount of filing and notch deepening worked perfectly. Both sights are low and look good.
Wouldn’t lowering the rear sight of a gun shooting low only lower the point of impact more?

Correct on lowering your POI with a lowered rear. The height of the sights above the flat is relatively irrelevant. It's the height above the bore centerline that matters more. Measure you FTF thickness at both places and divide by 2. That gives you your flat height. Now add in the sight height. I like to start my sight in procedures on rifles with the sights at a relatively even height above the bore axis, which SHOULD put me a little low on the target for my first few shots. With pistols, use a slightly higher front sight (because of muzzle flip before ball exit).

I wouldn't start messing with filing the front sight until my optimal load had been developed. You can drift the L-R stuff all you want at this phase, because you're not removing any metal, or doing anything that can't be easily undone later.

I'll take a file to whatever needs to be done to sight in. If I have a back sight I like, I'll even silver solder a new higher blade on it to avoid replacing the sight. That being said, it is easier to file a high front sight to raise the POI, but I have a couple of rifles with handmade bases on the front sight. A nonstandard dovetail with too low sight can make it easier to work on the back sight instead of making a whole new front sight.

A33BDAD5-32D6-4D3F-AD97-3C27022595B7.jpeg

8016D36A-3813-4F5E-AD6E-B496B5D52EF7.jpeg

Here’s the replacement sight for my gun.

Hard not too file one like this...

Low rear sights are generally not that big of a difficulty for your eye to pick up and adjust to. They're pretty big and blot out a lot of area in comparison to front posts. It's the teensie fronts I have more difficulty with. On one of my builds, the front is only .08" high on a 44" barrel. Very difficult to pick up, let alone deal with heat mirage if there is any. On my recently finished gun, my front is .23" high on a 48" barrel. MUCH easier to get a decent sight picture with, but I suspect that once my load is developed, that height is going to come down to about .15", which still ought to be ok.

Over time I have had to change the sights on most of my muzzle loaders. Taller rear sights and wider front sights. I also have had to move the rear sight closer to the front sight to clear the sight picture up a little. Even with glasses. I do know that if you change either front or rear you have to sight the rifle back in. Sometimes it's just the front sight but then again you end up adjusting both. Shoot it some before you make any decisions.

With all due respect, you might want to post another thought. Making the rear sight higher or lower will cause POI respectively higher or lower. That said, the front sight higher/lower will cause opposite effect.
flintlocklar

If you have to file your sights, this table might help to determine how much to file. I use a depth mike to measure height above barrel but the slide on a pair of dial calipers works just as well.....Shoot a group, figure out how much adjustment is needed, then measure between your sights and read how much has to be filed from the sight. If your group is 4" low at 100 yds and there is 30" between your sights, you would have to file .033 off your front sight to move the group up.
Sight_movement_chart.jpg

Okay, okay, I'm an old man and don't always say what I mean to say so bear with me, here. Indeed the gun did shoot high. I lowered the rear to get it on target. Replacing the front sight would have entailed heat and solder which is tricky on a thin barrel. I stand corrected.

Latest posts

Back