• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington barrel lenght

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If you where to cut down a Remington 1858 barrel to make it more practical, what lenght should you choose?
its in cal .44, I am into 5,5inch.

Well unless you want to start modifying the loading lever, I think you could only trim off about an inch or so.

I'd think 4" would be about as short as you might want it, though I've seen one something like 2.5-3" and he had good results. 4" just seems like a nice compromise between handy and a fair sight radius with enough barrel to burn some powder.

"Well unless you want to start modifying the loading lever, I think you could only trim off about an inch or so."

As pointed out above 1" to 1-1/4" without modifying the loading level and after cutting you may not get the crown correct again and ruin accuracy.

Instead of ruining a good pistol and having one with questionable lineage, just buy a 5 1/2" barrel pistol.

That's what I have coming. I think 5.5" ought to be handy enough with an even better sight radius. And no work necessary!

I am opposed to adulterating guns from being original. Buy long or buy short, buy what you want, just don't ruin a gun.

Actually longer sight radius is better than short for aiming.

Line shooters do not shoot short barrel pistols for a reason.

to make it more practical
Explain "Practical" please. A recent post has some nice pictures of a cut down with a modified Birds head grip. If You're good at machine work go for it. Not me, I shoot it with the long barrel it came with.

I meant that a 5.5" barrel would give a better sight radius than the 4" I had suggested as being as short as I'd think I'd want one.

I don't think customizing pistols was all that common, but the Avenging Angels come to mind. They needed what they needed...

I went with 3 5/8" for mine and it is pretty handy and extremely concealable (and Im only 120ish lbs)it still has practical accuracy as well. If you do chop one down the crown isnt as important as a modern gun I have done several BP barrels where I square off the end (can be done with files) and then use my thumb and sand paper to break the sharp edge. A couple of the ones I crowned have won matches. I crowned my 3 5/8" remmy that way because i didn't feel like setting up to crown on a machine and it shoots pretty dang good for what it is

I think you will find that the velocity of balls really starts falling away quickly when you start shopping off barrel length. It's not all that much in.44 cal to begin with, in an 8 inch gun.
I have seen gambler revolvers though with no barrel at all. They just shot out the cylinder through the frame hole. Mike D.

Back