• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Colt vs. 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which?

• 1858 Remington

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • 1860 Colt

Votes: 45 48.9%

• Total voters
This may be the most inane post I have read yet.
You are doing the work which in your words is testing the limits of the platform.
The upper limit is failure so knowing when and why it happens is the question at hand.......that's been your whole point.

You have to get "there" before you can say where "there" is !!!

Doing it your way is slightly dangerous.

Mike

This may be the most inane post I have read yet.
You are doing the work which in your words is testing the limits of the platform.
The upper limit is failure so knowing when and why it happens is the question at hand.......that's been your whole point.
Wow, you really don't know what you're talking about. There is a difference between short term burst strength leading to a catastrophic failure due to over-pressure and a long term failure due to premature wear. The former ends in an explosion. The latter ends in loosened tolerances.

Case in point. When Linebaugh did his destructive testing, he concluded that the .45 Blackhawk had a catastrophic failure at 60,000psi, where as the .44's failed at 80,000psi. The N-frame failed at the same pressure levels, so cylinder burst strength was deemed equal. From there it was determined that the .45 Blackhawk's safe limit is 32,000psi and still have a 100% safety margin. The Blackhawk will live a lifetime at that pressure. Whereas the N-frame will shoot itself loose in 3000-5000rds and require rebuilding, due to other limitations inherent to its design unrelated to cylinder strength.

We're testing long term durability, not trying to blow the damned things up.

This has gotten pretty weird. Next thing I need to do is go race the Passat at the Indy 500. Now it sure won't do 200 mph, but by gully it will do 500 miles (maybe 130 max).

But then hey, the Passat was never intended to race at Indy. It was tested in real world driving conditions because that is what its targeted (pun) at and real world and you can get upwards of 300,000 miles on one. Granted that means some parts replacements along the way.

So while I am not a cylinder conversion guy, nothing wrong with doing it. Its all about what you are interested in or works for you what you like and your situation. What counts is we all like to shoot.

I have had more than one guy admire my rifle groups, wow, that is amazing. I know a lot of them can't do what I do, but then they go out every year and get their moose. As long as they can shoot a couple inch group at 100, they are good. They are real world, mine is not. I also have 13 lb rifle and a god awful powerful scope and the only way that would work would be to sit atop a mountain with a clear view and snipe moose.

Each to their own and whatever skillsets they have that works.

Well, arbor mounted "better" in the frame but the locking lugs would be on the arbor / in the barrel assy, no wedge needed (but a latch of course. Twist on/ twist off).

357 '61 hmmmmm . . . I like it !!

Mike
That’s a fascinating idea .you guys with skills could probably figure out how to actually make it real.

Remember that some of the guys recommending the modifications.........are the guys who get paid to do the modifications.

Kind of like the mechanic that tells the little old lady she needs a new discronificator on her Buick.

Remember that some of the guys recommending the modifications.........are the guys who get paid to do the modifications.

Kind of like the mechanic that tells the little old lady she needs a new discronificator on her Buick.

The difference is, some show you how to do it yourself. Nobody "HAS" to do it and when you think of how to make things "better" every single day ( because it IS what you do) those are the folks that bring "stuff" to the table ( not always of course but usually).

Mike

Last edited:

Who else is going to innovate?

Gunsmiths that do custom work are nothing like mechanics who change spark plugs. Plus any grown adult with half a lick of sense should be able to discern what they won't versus fluff.

Remington 1858 is a fine piece and a vast improvement over the Colt engineering. (works well with a conversion cylinder too)

It CAN be turned into a fine piece but as is, they tend to bind up rather quickly and can be bent loading/shooting if too hard of lead is used ( in cap and ball mode). Haven't bent an open top yet . . .

Mike

It CAN be turned into a fine piece but as is, they tend to bind up rather quickly and can be bent loading/shooting if too hard of lead is used ( in cap and ball mode). Haven't bent an open top yet . . .

Mike
Don't get me wrong I love my old Colt Walker, but I only use both with a conversion so I haven't had any issues described here. Shot C&B a long time ago as a teenager and got my fill of the nostalgia of smoke and smell then, now I prefer it tidy and more modern as I enter into my golden years.

Latest posts

Back